I'm going to do it!

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
After months (actually years) of being scared of even mouthing the word RAW I am finally going to attempt it tonight! :eek:

Only thing is I have bookmarked a few tutorials but most seem to be too advanced. Does anyone have a good beginners guide link or even better some tips?

Cheers!

In about 24 hours, you will post again like "well, that wasn't like I'd imagined..." :)

Aside from the extra processing it allows you to do, there isn't really much difference for basic stuff! If it is exposed right in camera, then you might want to do a sharpen before exporting to JPEG....anyway!

Thanks! I can see that happening actually, I have zero patience. I think I'll give it a go. My lecturers are always telling me to shoot in RAW however havent ever bothered to show me, which of course makes sense!

Vic

I suppose you'll be using the Canon DPP software that came with your camera. It's probably the best one to start with. It's fairly simple to use and I think there is a tutorial on the Canon web site

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1228&fromTips=1

Not used it myself as the original version was a bit poor so I went to capture one and am now a Lightroom convert. However I'm reliably informed that the latest version is far better now.

After about a month you may not want to use anything else. Only problem is RAW files are a bit (Lot) larger than jpegs. However hard drives are getting cheaper, and you can always delete the poor images you are never going to use.

Enjoy

I've been using the DPP RAW software for a while now since all support for Rawshooter Premium ended. I did have a brief flirtation with Lightroom in the meantime.

The latest version of DPP is very good. It's still a bit limited and clunky, but I'd say the RAW version it opens is pretty well bang on the nail with very little need for adjustment anyway.

:agree: DPP is pretty good and easy to use. I have very little patience too but find DPP good.

I find RAW files are not much different than any other except that you can change more at source which for me makes up for my poor photographic skills. Just have a play and see what happens.

Thanks guys. I had planned on using the converter that came with CS3 however will now try and find DPP on my computer, will it already be installed? I have so much damn programmes on my computer it could very well be on there already!

Back