I'm looking for a FREE photo editing application.

BML

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a free photo editing app as I am an aboslute beginner but every so called free app I open finishes up asking for money. If I ever reach a reasonable phtographic standard I may well think it worth buying a pay for app but I'm fed up with folf attempting to screw me.

Hi and welcome to TP

I note from your profile that you have the Canon 300D.

Can I suggest that you download the software that Canon give with their cameras Digital Photo Pro (DPP) it should be a good enough starting point that "knows" your camera and will aid your learning as to how to process your pictures. Yes, you might find it wanting in due course but you did say free (though other free software do exist!

NB the 300D is very old legacy camera and by suggesting DPP I am surmising that the most current version (running on perhaps Windows 10) will also handle the 300D files. NB it seems that oddly(?) DPP as it has developed does not support older legacy bodies :thinking::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Photoshop express appears to still be free from the Microsoft app store.

If you have the 300D did you get a cd with it as the chance is the right version of DPP will be on it.

Last edited:
However also a very good chance that it won't run on Windows 10...

DigiKam, RawTherapee, Dark Table and GIMP are probably the premier free image developers and editors. If you just want quick & dirty edits then Irfanview is very effective.

If you have the 300D did you get a cd with it as the chance is the right version of DPP will be on it.

That would be good, if he has it?

However also a very good chance that it won't run on Windows 10...

As noted in my post above ;)

He might be able install it in compatibly mode?

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. The situation is that I still use the Canon 300D but I have also moved into the world of the Smart Phone and use a Samsung J6. I am a trifle forgetful but today when searching for a Free Photo Editing App I remembered that I once used Adobe Photoshop Express and I am going to give it another go. Doubtlessly I will be back with more questions so many thanks.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. The situation is that I still use the Canon 300D but I have also moved into the world of the Smart Phone and use a Samsung J6. I am a trifle forgetful but today when searching for a Free Photo Editing App I remembered that I once used Adobe Photoshop Express and I am going to give it another go. Doubtlessly I will be back with more questions so many thanks.

PS express is great for basics. Once you’re fine with that either move on to full version or as mentioned above Gimp to get further clarity PP wise.

I am looking for a free photo editing app as I am an aboslute beginner but every so called free app I open finishes up asking for money. If I ever reach a reasonable phtographic standard I may well think it worth buying a pay for app but I'm fed up with folf attempting to screw me.

Gimp is free and good but Affinity Photo is like Lightroom (without the dam) and Photoshop in one program, £23.99 till 20th June and you can get a 3 month free trial.
In my opinion it is better to give some a short free trial if you can then go for the one you want.

IMHO you can't go wrong with Affinity.

I also like xnView and xnViewMP (more advanced). They are both free. I use them mostly for previewing but they have some basic editing capabilities too.

very true.

I have both DPP3 & DPP4 on Windows 10 and can run both at the same time. I don't because I'm not keen on it and used LR & PS until I heard about & took the free trial of Affinity. At £23.99 it's one of the best you will get and it's as near to free as makes no odds.

If you really want DPP you can download it free from Canon support.

You can also download EOS utility 2 or 3 depending on what your camera needs. Personally I think it is the best photo importing software for the Canon.

Last edited:
Gimp is free and good but Affinity Photo is like Lightroom (without the dam) and Photoshop in one program, £23.99 till 20th June and you can get a 3 month free trial.
In my opinion it is better to give some a short free trial if you can then go for the one you want.

Yeah, I started using Affinity Photo in the last few weeks and it is fantastic. Very similar to Photoshop in terms of layout and tools but for less than £25.

Yep I agree it’s worth spending a little bit on affinity it’s very good

Luminar 3 is also free and I find it better than Faststone which I have used for a while. Affinity in £23.99 till 20th June then half price offer ends and it is like PS & LR rolled in to one minus the DAM.
Can you post a link to the Free Luminar 3. The ones I can find want money or/and sign up to mailing lists?

Can you post a link to the Free Luminar 3. The ones I can find want money or/and sign up to mailing lists?

I'm sorry, seems like thew link I had only take me to the paid versions now. When I followed it last I downloaded ver 3, registered it and they emailed me a one off code. Maybe it was only a time limited offer.

I'm sorry, seems like thew link I had only take me to the paid versions now. When I followed it last I downloaded ver 3, registered it and they emailed me a one off code. Maybe it was only a time limited offer.
How long has it been around I seem to have missed it somehow!

How long has it been around I seem to have missed it somehow!

I can't remember but I got it 2-3 months ago. I think it is to encourage ppl to get Luminar 4. I'll stick with Affinity £23.99 till 20th June. I'll save the £120 per year Adobe costs.LR is ok as is but if it lost the DAM it would be better for the way I work.

The main reason ILuminar 3 was to view my CR3 thumbnails as Windows 10 file explorer wouldn't, mine does no so L3 doesn't get used so much.

Back