Im new

Name
Callum
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I'm Callum im almost 19 and almost had my camera a year i got it for my 18th and am from up by Aberdeen.
I'm a bit noobish with the camera and make quite a bit of mistakes but every now and again i get something decent. Things i tend to take photos of are: cars, trees and i attempt to be fancy with shutter speed and the like.

I have a sony A390 camera with the 18-70 kit lens and a tamron 70-300 lens, a pile of hong kongs finest filters, a velbon tripod inherited from my great great grandfather (there's a leicia camera with some lenses and all the retro **** as well but have been informed of the value so decided its best to leave it in its box so i dont break it). all edditied with snapseed on the iPad or Sonys software on the computer which im not very good with to be honest.

here are what i think are my "best shots"
Im fairly easy going, careless and a terrible speller so grammar nazis please go easy on me, feel free to slate my pics just give me some feed back and hints on how to do it better next time thanks!

A90 Train Viaduct by Callummarshall, on Flickr

Follow the Taxi by Callummarshall, on Flickr

That stupid Bush! by Callummarshall, on Flickr

Light trails at the bottom of my road by Callummarshall, on Flickr

Fin On Christmas by Callummarshall, on Flickr

Bobble by Callummarshall, on Flickr

Hello Callum, welcome to the forum! There's too many pics to comment on, but I would say that composition is probably the thing you need to give attention to. Think what you are trying to portray, look for different angles, perspectives etc. Rather than take random shots, go for a set 'challenge' and work at it. These come across as 'snapshots' (don't mean to sound rude), esp the one of Fin. Its decent, well exposed, but you could have thought about the background, lighting, pose etc. I just suggest these things if you want to improve. If you like cars, check out the Transport section for ideas, and for trees, look for suitable 'lone' candidates, early morning, fog, snow etc. Gee, I wish I was 19 again and had the energy to do all that I would love to do! Keep posting pics.

welcome to tp ! I love your honesty and some of the captions :laugh: are you also a fellow zsocer ;) ?

I do like your second and fifth shots, the kid is really cute, one question is: were you holding the camera in the car? maybe you'll need a short tripod to make the light lines more straight? :)

Welcome to the forum. I like a few of your pics, I like the anchor shot but it would of been better without the shadows over it IMO. I also like the stupid bush other than the stupid bush, the sky is really nice. Keep up the good work.

Hello Callum, welcome to the forum! There's too many pics to comment on, but I would say that composition is probably the thing you need to give attention to. Think what you are trying to portray, look for different angles, perspectives etc. Rather than take random shots, go for a set 'challenge' and work at it. These come across as 'snapshots' (don't mean to sound rude), esp the one of Fin. Its decent, well exposed, but you could have thought about the background, lighting, pose etc. I just suggest these things if you want to improve. If you like cars, check out the Transport section for ideas, and for trees, look for suitable 'lone' candidates, early morning, fog, snow etc. Gee, I wish I was 19 again and had the energy to do all that I would love to do! Keep posting pics.

Yeah they are just snapshots as you put it, when i find myself at a loose end i just pic my camera up and go for a play around with it to see what i can do.
what do you mean by composition whats good/bad?
Fin is a 5 year old boy who doesn't sit still, and it was Christmas day im not going to take him away from his stuff as it would have just annoyed him/ he would have lost interest in the "nozzle" as he called it.
haha things are ace, money is an issue though! but thinking of going to thailand to see a friend and go touring for a month or so :D

welcome to tp ! I love your honesty and some of the captions :laugh: are you also a fellow zsocer ;) ?

I am indeed i go by the same inventive on there aswell!

I do like your second and fifth shots, the kid is really cute, one question is: were you holding the camera in the car? maybe you'll need a short tripod to make the light lines more straight? :)

Yeah fin is a hero, youngest of us 6 grandsons and makes enough noise and wanted to see what the "nozzle" that santa brought me did.

As for the car pics, the camera was on a tripod which was thrown in the back of the car and shuggled about, the state of the roads in Aberdeen didn't help much. i need to think of a better way of fixing the camera in place.

Welcome to the forum. I like a few of your pics, I like the anchor shot but it would of been better without the shadows over it IMO. I also like the stupid bush other than the stupid bush, the sky is really nice. Keep up the good work.

Yeah it wasnt till i was back home i realized that the anchor shot had much much more potential (could have had a bay shot of thurso with it or something) it was late in the day an not much i could do about it.

Thanks for all the feedback its really good, keep it coming good or bad!

A great beginning! Looks like you have made a decent start at editing too. I think the one stands out the most for me is "Follow the Taxi." Lots of light streak photographs looks very similar and I like how you have taken a very different point of view.
And welcome to TP! I know you will enjoy it.

Great colours on your shots.. are you doing most of that in post processing?

Yeah they are just snapshots as you put it, when i find myself at a loose end i just pic my camera up and go for a play around with it to see what i can do.
what do you mean by composition whats good/bad?

Hi Callum. There are some guidelines that help you build up a 'feel' for good composition. with Landscapes, think about lead-in lines, putting the horizon on the bottom third or the top third of the image, try to avoid putting it in the middle. The John O Groats image fits some of that. You need an anchor that keeps your eye in the image. Clouds and Trees wide doesn't have that. The Sea picture is wonky, has little of interest on the lhs and there is a blurred object on the rhs that intrudes and your eye goes to the boat top right and out of the picture. When you take your 'snapshots' begin to look at them to see if you can find what works and what doesn't.

Thailand is amazing - so get to grips with your camera before you go. You don't want to go all that way and just come back with 'snapshots'!

Cool pics like the one inside the car!

Thanks

Great colours on your shots.. are you doing most of that in post processing?

Erm not really sure what you mean, the only ones which have been edited are:
the one of fin-the colours and saturation was altered on snapseed on my ipad
the one of the viaduct- a small boost in colours and reduction in noise, again on the ipad
the one of the bobble- i boosted the colours and sorted a blemish with the sparkles where a spot light had hit it and it was too silvery.

Hi Callum. There are some guidelines that help you build up a 'feel' for good composition. with Landscapes, think about lead-in lines, putting the horizon on the bottom third or the top third of the image, try to avoid putting it in the middle. The John O Groats image fits some of that. You need an anchor that keeps your eye in the image. Clouds and Trees wide doesn't have that. The Sea picture is wonky, has little of interest on the lhs and there is a blurred object on the rhs that intrudes and your eye goes to the boat top right and out of the picture. When you take your 'snapshots' begin to look at them to see if you can find what works and what doesn't.

Thailand is amazing - so get to grips with your camera before you go. You don't want to go all that way and just come back with 'snapshots'!

Thanks again :D TBH i can work the focus, zoom aperture, and shutter speed that's about it! usually i just go out and click for the best! But im really intreuged to learn more, i see what you mean and looking through photos i have taken i can see that there is many images which would be better, with thinks not in the same place and that they are dull with nothing happening in them.

Yeah my best friend is out there on a gap year at the moment, thats why were heading over, funny you should say that my Uncle had something similar to say but more to do with protection and a sore bum...

We are going back to america as a family this year and going west coast and seeing the GC and the like so i need to get my ass in to gear to get a better understanding as there is so much potential. in upcoming trips!

im off to London with work on Monday, the hotel apparently has a good view of the eye so im planning a long exposure of it and the houses of Parliament :D

Last edited:
Back