I'm now officially unemployed

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got back from the office to hand in all my gear (apart from the car, they can pick it up in the New Year :D ) and said all my goodbyes. After 7 1/2 years not a word from a director or senior manager so I reckon I'm better off out of it. :bat:

Roll on the New Year and hopefully a new job, in the meantime I'm going to enjoy Christmas with my wife and kids, eat and drink too much and generally have a good time.

Hope things turn out well for you in 2006 Colin ... (y)

I have to say it was the best thing that ever happened to me ... in work terms at least ... earlier this year ... ;) I hope you can look back and say that too ...

Have a bloody good Christmas with your family m8 ... and I hope you have a successful 2007 ... :D

Not proceeding down the Freelance Photographer route then ... :thinking:

:p

Colin, it really does sound like you're better off out of it. The hardest thing for people is making the jump out of a job that they are better off out of.

It's often irrelevant who makes the decision, but the good thing is, is that you have jumped, and I'm sure you'll be better for it.

The scariest thing was when I came off the sick and handed my notice in instead. With no job to go to. But I did it, and I haven't looked back, and I am sooooo glad I did.

As Rog says, I hope you can look back upon this time and say "Thank god I'm out of it".

You sit back...enjoy christmas with your wife and kids. Have a few tipples, over eat, over indulges, play with your camera, and enjoy the things that are important in life....your family.
You might look back on this christmas as the one where you just left work.
Your kids will look back on this christmas as the one they had daddy at home ;)

Enjoy it mate :) And here's to a successful 2007 :beer:

After 7 1/2 years not a word from a director or senior manager so I reckon I'm better off out of it. :bat:

Isn't that just typical... man management skills - zippo!
Roll on the New Year and hopefully a new job, in the meantime I'm going to enjoy Christmas with my wife and kids, eat and drink too much and generally have a good time.

Good luck Colin. Take your time if you can, and really think about what you want to do. Whilst it doesn't always appear too obvious at the time, these things often happen for the best. ;)

Well you have a great attitude and with all the headway you've been making with the photography side of things you may find that you have a new calling in life! Here's to you and yours having a fabulous holiday!

A few years back Id got myself in a rut with a deadend job that I felt for one reason or another (& most of those financial), that I just couldnt walk away from.
A car accident forced my hand and like Ven & Marcel, I havent looked back since.

I hope things go the same way for you, Colin, so here's wishing you & your family a fabulous Christmas & all the very best for the coming year ahead.
Make 2007 your year :hug:

sorry if you've already told this on another thread, did you leave on your own accord?

well, enjoy your x'mas and it's a brand new year in 2 weeks time. ;)

Redundancy is a funny old thing - happened to me in 2001 and left a slightly bitter taste.

The silver lining to this particularly murky cloud, was that I'd written a few applications in VB6 which were being used to run parts of our department. I knew from my contract that I didn't own or have any rights to anything I created, so when I was writing the applications, I made it so that they would cease to work if I personally didn't use them for more than a month.

I was made redundant in March, and sure enough, I got e-mails at home from my ex-boss on April 1st, asking if I had any idea why the department management tools had stopped working.

"I dunno, I don't work there any more it ain't my responsibility"

:)

Thats bad man, I remember the only time I was employed as an av techi for 3 years and had an accident after working a 72 hour week accross Europe so had a week off work for surgery before christmas, got back in the new year and found out that they had made me redundant, best thing that happened to me, went self employed again and have never looked back. That said it isn't for everyone, I think that you have to be certain kind of animal to make it work but whatever you do I wish you all the best. I have noticed when you came onto these forums that you were fairly green so to speak and in less than a year you are doing shoots at equestrian events and making money from and also working freelance. you wont be down for long fella, all the best.
Gary

In that case, I guess your directors are too ashamed to see you. Your manager's probably too worried about his own job?

The reason that cliches are cliches is because they're true.

At last, today is the beginning of the rest of your life. As everyone has said, it may take years to discover why this happened, but no matter how pants it feels right now, it always seems to work out for the best. Relax and enjoy!

:beer:

Thanks for all the comments. When they announced it a couple of months ago I was obviously a bit cheesed off but it's worked out for the best as the office is moving to Hook in Hampshire and makes the commute too long, I've been doing NE Herts to Woking in Surrey for the last five years and it's not funny, up at 4.45am to face the M25 :shake: :wacky: and that's been bad enough. I've had a few interviews and whilst I haven't landed a job yet (too experienced, couldn't start immediately etc) the feedback has been all good so I'm reasonably confident in finding something in the New Year, everything happens for a reason and the right one will come along. As long as you have the right positive attitude it will all work out.

With regard to the photography side, yes it is something I'd like to do but the freelance work is sporadic and I don't have the experience, network or contacts yet for enough weddings and portraits.

Gary, thanks for the words, I was a bit green when I came on here but I have learnt so much from people like yourself and others, if somebody had said this time last year (when the camera had been put away for the winter) what would happen during 2006 I wouldn't have believed them!

Merry Christmas everybody.

Should probably add that after I got made redundant, I was unemployed for a couple of months (divorce and a few other issues happened all at once), then a mate got me an IT job at a software publishing company. From that I got a few games published and in shops and eventually went self employed for about a year and a half writing more games. I had ten games published in the end.

Getting just ONE game published was my ambition since the mid 1980's, and getting made redundant gave me the time/motivation/opportunity to make it happen.

Best of luck with it Colin. I eventually got made redundant about 8 years ago, had to ask for it at the time. Wasn't really sure what I was going to do, just knew I didn't want to be where I was. It'll work out :)

Good luck Colin, just look to the future and Im sure it will be bright for you - cant keep a good dog down and all that :D

Think the saying is: Better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb than halfway up one that you don't.

Your previous employer sounds like the dont option;) Onwards and upwards :)

And a Merry Christmas to you and your family (y)

Good luck with your search for a new position.

But mainly take the chance to really enjoy crimbo with your family.

Cheerz:D

Can I just add my bit to the chorus. Good luck in the job hunting, I hope you find a position that brings greater benefits to you and your family. And have a very happy Christmas (y)

Just would like to echo some of the comments already made. We make our own destiny and what seems like a big risk at the time looks quite natural when you look back. Your range of work has improved greatly since I have been around here (not that it was crap... sorry! :embarrassed:) which proves an ability to learn and change. Not much more is required.

In the meantime enjoy the time with the wife & kids (y)

Gary

Back