I'm seeing spots! (well my D70 is)

Edit My Images
No
Ok folks, well I've been out all day up in North Yorkshire taking photos for my photography course :thumb:

On getting home I've looked at them on my PC, and I'm noticing blemishes on the pictures in exactly the same place on each picture :annoyed: . On some pictures it's more pronounced than others, but they are still visible.

I've noticed these before, and tryed my damndest to clean the lens, front and back, but it still persists. It even persists when I've got an alternate lens on.

I locked the mirror up yesterday and had a look at the CCD - it appears to have a stray fibre or two on it.. question is, whats the best approach to sorting it out? I've had the camera about 12 months, and I'm not sure blasting the spray duster onto the CCD is such a good idea!

Anyone any suggestions!

:eyesup:

This is defintely sensor dirt

Try the Copperhill method of cleaning or do a search on the forums for "sensor cleaning" this will answer a lot of your questions.

If you need some more advice just shot :)

Steve said:

Try the Copperhill method of cleaning or do a search on the forums for "sensor cleaning" this will answer a lot of your questions.

..it's not so hard to sort out in Photoshop, just a bit annoying!

I'll have to take a look at the Copperhill method :ponders:

Steve said:

..I took at a look at Warehouse Express and I've ordered some of the DigiPad cleaners, hopefully they won't make too much of a mess. Odd thing is that there only seems to be too small fibres, I am rather tempted to get a bit busy with a cotton bud! :eyesup:

DavidUK said:
..I took at a look at Warehouse Express and I've ordered some of the DigiPad cleaners, hopefully they won't make too much of a mess. Odd thing is that there only seems to be too small fibres, I am rather tempted to get a bit busy with a cotton bud! :eyesup:

I'm sure you are kidding but anyway.... go near the sensor with anything other than the 'right stuff' and you can guarantee to add more dust specks than you remove.

RobertP said:
I'm sure you are kidding but anyway.... go near the sensor with anything other than the 'right stuff' and you can guarantee to add more dust specks than you remove.

..err yes I was joking :whistling ..honest...best not to be 'gung ho' with seven hundred quids worth of Camera!

I am very wary about going near it with anything. I recently bought a Skylight 1B filter than had a mark on it, I tried to clean it with the old lens fluid and cloth but made it a hell of a lot worse.. ended up using a microfibre cloth to get it right again. :)

The trick to lens fluid is to put it on the cloth, never on the lens.

Also, if cleaning your sensor with a pecpad. If someone says cut it up, DONT. Once they are cut, they are NOT lint free. Even if yuo can't see the fibres, they'll be there ;)

I used the Digi Pads and cleaner from Warehouse Express.. a couple of quick wipes across the sensor... worked a treat, very impressed!

Being blessed with cameras that are issued, I can get quite brutal with my sensor cleaning, safe in the knowledge that if it all goes horribly wrong, I get a new camera.
While this is out of the question for most users, it does mean that I can try out techniques that others would balk at with thier own personal kit.
Using sensor swabs and cleaneing fluid on the sensor, then a dry swab to get the smears off (is that screaming I hear?) works a treat, even if the cameras have been in the deep desert for a while.

The best method is of course prevention. Only change lenses with the camera switched off to minimise electrostatic 'suck' and even then, only in as dust-free environment as you can manage. I use two bodies and never change lenses outdoors. Ever.

Arkady said:
I use two bodies and never change lenses outdoors. Ever.

Really? Do you mean outdoors AT ALL, or is this just applicable to Iraq et al?
I change my lenses outdoors (most of the time I need to)...I even did it on a beach once..... :nono:

Matt said:
:icon_eek:...It all comes out eventually :whistling

LOL....You can't beat a bit of inneuendo...fnar fnar

I use common sense when I do it outside and have never had any nasty side effects ;)

Not if I can avoid it. I use a 17-35mm on one body and an 80-200 on the other, that pretty much covers all I need, though there's a 14mm and a 28-80 in the bag as well.

On the few occasions I have changed lenses, I've managed to find cover to do it. Sand in Iraq and Afghanistan is like flour and will totally b0110x a screen for evermore. I think so far this year the Combat Camera Team in Basrah have destroyed 6 D1x bodies (mostly by useless RAF personnel, mind you - the Army Master Photographer at Cosford would rip me a new one if I damaged a camera through negligence - we're taught to treat them as our own property) and bear in mind that's just doing PR stuff, not -war-fighting.

Back