iMac/Airport Extreme/Internet problem

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought an Airport Extreme router a couple of weeks ago to improve the wireless capability in our house as our old Belkin jobbie was not that good. Because the iMac is close to the router I connect using an Ethernet cable but the other machines (Windows) use wireless. Since using the Airport Express I have had trouble accessing certain sites in that they will not load, these sites include Website Grader, Photobucket, Wickes and many more. At first I thought it could be problems with Safari but it also happens with Firefox and IE and Google Chrome on the Windows machines.

I have also plugged the Mac straight into the Belkin base station bypassing the Airport and the same problem occurs, I have also cleared the cache has but to no avail.

It's starting to drive me nuts. Help!

So basically if your remove the airport and plug everything into the belkin you still have the problem?

So basically if your remove the airport and plug everything into the belkin you still have the problem?

Yes, first I tried keeping the Aiport on but plugging straight into the Belkin, then I completely removed it.

Do not know what to suggest there Colin seems strange the problem persists when you remove the airport from the loop.

Side note.... what grading do you get from Website Grader for your site...

Nigel

Cheers Nigel, pre-blog it was 49 on the BluDomain site but when I checked a couple of days ago it was up to 81. :D

S-o-u-n-d-s like an issue with the MTU figure in the router - if you're on ADSL or DSL see if you can dig through the Belkin's config to find where the MTU figure is configured - check what it is now, and change it to 1458 if it isn't already.

Reboot the router.

Now check those websites again.

The addition of the Airport to the network was probably coincident with a network error, not the cause of it....

-Rob

Cheers for that info Colin... just run my blog site through it and got a 79 so quite chuffed there....

Will have a read up on the site and see what I can do to push it higher...

Thanks for the site info

Nigel

I would suggest it is coincidental if the problem persists and may be down to something on your belkin or a fault with your ISP. Have you got a 2nd connection option such as an iphone? If so remove the airport and stick it away for now. Then try and attach to the web site you are having problems with. If you do have a problem then try and attach to it using the IP address. It could be a name resolving error. If so you can get the IP address using the iPhone.

Back