iMac G5

S

Sean_Mcr

Can one of you lads (or lassies) answer a question for me please.

Are all the current imacs running of an intel chip rather then a G5?

I'm not that well up on them, but i can't seem to find any current G5 iMacs. Only second hand, have they been upgraded? If so, Is there much a difference between the newer and older versions ?

Cheers

Just glancing at their site it does look like they are now an Intel only shop, knew they were phasing the Power chips out but didnt expect it to be so fast.

TBH if buying an Apple PC now it would be foolish to buy anything except an Intel version.

The Intel chips are faster and will allow Apple to produce cheaper systems, aswell as the capability to run Win XP using BootCamp.

Cheers mate.

Yeah i've heard about them being able to run xp, that would make a big difference to me. I had a secondhand ibook a few years ago and i loved the lap top but i preferred windows, so i sold it. Which might make Mac lover groan lol

Heres a thread that might be of interest to you, includes review of the Intel Mac Dreeder bought, looks pretty impressive :)

Here

(y)

I have a MacBook Pro which runs on an Intel chip and an iMac G5 which runs on a Power PC chip, both run fine and I would have no hesitaion in buying an Intel chip in a Mac now, at first there were a lot of bugs but they are fine now they have got over the initial teething problems.

You get some free software with a Mac, one being iPhoto which is a brilliant easy to use simple photo organising application with some basic editing functions or you can upgrade to Aperture which is first class

I have run XP on a G5 using Virtual PC which is crap and slow, on a Intel machine I run XP using an application called Parallels Desktop and it works just like a PC, if not better

I have a MacBook Pro which runs on an Intel chip and an iMac G5 which runs on a Power PC chip, both run fine and I would have no hesitaion in buying an Intel chip in a Mac now, at first there were a lot of bugs but they are fine now they have got over the initial teething problems.

You get some free software with a Mac, one being iPhoto which is a brilliant easy to use simple photo organising application with some basic editing functions or you can upgrade to Aperture which is first class

I have run XP on a G5 using Virtual PC which is crap and slow, on a Intel machine I run XP using an application called Parallels Desktop and it works just like a PC, if not better

LOL.

Sorry, I just found it amusing that your username is your Mac e-mail and your first post is in a Mac thread about how great Mac's are.

Hi, Nick. And welcome to the forums.

Please ignore the locals who haven't as yet seen the light ;)

I currently use both boot camp and parallels. And yes, xp on a mac can be better than xp on a boring machine :)

Back to the OP. Yes, all are MacIntels now.

Back