Beginner iMac guru?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Anybody who knows what there doing with mac's near me (Worcester uk) who could help me sort mine out? Missing files/disks that wont read will pay for your time. I've put a post on the computer section but more people read this one hope thats ok.

Anybody who knows what there doing with mac's near me (Worcester uk) who could help me sort mine out? Missing files/disks that wont read will pay for your time. I've put a post on the computer section but more people read this one hope thats ok.
Do you keep a time machine backup? If so you could always just reinstall from that to see if it cures the issue.

You dont but I do missing 4 k family photos bit desperate now

But you haven't been able to give a clear and understandable description of exactly what happened in what order. People can't help if they can't understand.

Just to play back what the issue is:

1. You have a Mac and an external disk drive.
2. The external disk drive was originally formatted as FAT32
3. You stored your images on this external drive, and now they are not there.

Is this correct?

if so, can we get a bit more information:
1. You say the images are missing - are they flagged as missing in some catalog software (eg Lightroom), or are they physically not visible on the disk when you look in finder?
2. Are any files visible on the disk in finder?
3. Is the external disk even showing up in finder?
4. What can you remember doing prior to the images going missing - tidying up? running new software etc?
5. Have you plugged the external disk into another PC / Mac BEFORE the images when missing?

I would recommend you do NOT write anything to the external disk for the time being.

Got a mate of a mate coming round later on so fingers crossed.

All sorted ,hard drive faulty,thanks for your help.please remove .

Last edited:
Most of them [emoji38]lost a few but it could have been worse
It probably will be worse next time unless you take steps to back up your stuff properly :-(

You should ALWAYS have at least one backup.

Yes ,need to read up on it and what best ,I have a nas which is the LR catalog and a new 4tb external any ideas on which is best( mac only used for photos)

Yes ,need to read up on it and what best ,I have a nas which is the LR catalog and a new 4tb external any ideas on which is best( mac only used for photos)

Just download Google Photos and have it monitor your export folder, unlimited free backup with no fuss. Simples.

Mac's own time machine is a great back up. I then have two external drives to store all my RAWs I've finished working on.

Mac's own time machine is a great back up. I then have two external drives to store all my RAWs I've finished working on.

Yep, and you can just plug a hard drive into your wireless router and it just works (well, once you switch it on).

Back