IMAC printer connection problems

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I have an imac 2017 i7 32gb, and my printer is an Epson stylus Photo 1500w. Since my update to OS Big Sur i cant connect my printer either by usb or wi-fi anyone else had the same
problem?

problem?Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 17.53.59.png

Thank you for your help BB but the Epson website is like a maze it took 5 different pages to get to the FAQ page which had no links to the printer profiles i finally found them when i searched "old printer profiles update on mac big sur" which eventually took me to the printer profiles now i just gotta see if it works LOL

uploaded new printer profile it does not work the utilty to clean print heads print test page and check ink levels all just press/blink then nothing happens i would not mind but epson don't even have a report problem page or contact us

None too sure what you mean by printer profile as in Windows terms I associate that with paper profiles i.e. nothing to do with computer drivers!

It was drivers that I was referring to.....................on the page I linked to, if you use the browser on your Mac with Big Sur running what does the 'auto detection' of the OS on that Epson page tell you i.e. has it detected Big Sur ?

If so, it AFAIK will have in the driver downloadable (lower down the page) the Mac Drivers & software for your OS. As I am not using a Mac of any sort so cannot check that but on my phone the page detects I viewing using an Android device.

Right I have found the correct Epson DL page that allows to select Big Sur as the OS and the appropriate Mac .dmg file at >85MB is offered dated in Nov 2020

Page here
Support - Epson

Make sure to select, if not discovered, the Mac OS 11 ( Big Sur)

HTH as needed :)

sorry BOX yes i meant drivers and it still does not work the epson print test clean heads and other cleaning checks do not work you click them but they just go GREY

None too sure what you mean by printer profile as in Windows terms I associate that with paper profiles i.e. nothing to do with computer drivers!

It was drivers that I was referring to.....................on the page I linked to, if you use the browser on your Mac with Big Sur running what does the 'auto detection' of the OS on that Epson page tell you i.e. has it detected Big Sur ?

If so, it AFAIK will have in the driver downloadable (lower down the page) the Mac Drivers & software for your OS. As I am not using a Mac of any sort so cannot check that but on my phone the page detects I viewing using an Android device.
see above

sorry BOX yes i meant drivers and it still does not work the epson print test clean heads and other cleaning checks do not work you click them but they just go GREY

Oh drat!!! So even the November 2020 (most up to date driver in post #7?) does not solve the problem :banghead:

I don't know if this helps but.
I had a similar problem with an Epson laser and big sur.

I had to uninstall all printer drivers.
Install the printer driver from a supplied CD before connecting the printer.
Reboot the computer with the printer not connected.
Connected the printer via usb and powered it on.
Left the printer powered on but switched off the mac.
Rebooted the mac and it found it automatically. After it had found the printer via usb I could then use wifi.

That said, it is a different printer and I had also previously reset the PRAM for an unrelated problem.

Can't hurt to try.

I’ve now realised that if I wait then the document eventually prints. When I say “wait” I really mean that, a document printed yesterday after 10 minutes without me doing anything! I can’t explain that but I’ve had enough and I’m moving my printing to my Win10 machine.

Honestly, my mac was at a crawl after the big sur update.

Resetting the PRAM made a world of difference.

Mind you, I am speaking as if I know what I'm talking about.

Last time I had problem with a printer not working as expected*, I deleted it in System Preferences : Printers and Scanners and then reinstalled it. That worked.

(*Could have been Catalina or Big Sur, can't remember which)

I’ve now realised that if I wait then the document eventually prints. When I say “wait” I really mean that, a document printed yesterday after 10 minutes without me doing anything! I can’t explain that but I’ve had enough and I’m moving my printing to my Win10 machine.
I made a mistake, it didn't work if I waited but did work if I closed the "printer can't connect" dialogue box and clicked "print" again!

Crumbs.........I am glad I don't have a Mac......if they update the OS without an element of backwards compatibility in something as simple(?) as a printer driver! ;)

MacOS has a tendency to set all printing to Airprint, even if the printer doesn't support it.

Can't remember how to find it but there is a setting somewhere in the printer profile in MacOS that lets you select something other than Airprint, try that.

Back