iMac -vs- Microsoft

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody converted from the Microsoft system to the iMac world. I was in the Apple shop at the Trafford Centre today having a good look at some of the kit and was quite impressed.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has 'converted'.

Cheers,

BobR

Ho, Yes!

I've got a MacIntel IMAC and a MacBook. Both run Boot Camp without any problems but I'm in the process of installing everything using Parallels Workstation. When I've finally installed everything I need using Parallels, I'll kill off Boot Camp. When I have the MacBook duplicating the MacIntel IMAC (as a backup and holiday system) I'll then be selling my 18 month old IMAC and a Compaq lappy.

The only problem I've encountered running XP under Parallels Workstation is that it can be somewhat glitchy with USB devices. The only one that I'm having an issue with is a Seiko SLP200 label printer which was/is always an arse to install under XP anyway. I can't imagine many people trying to use this printer under Parallels on a Mac :)

I use both Macs and PC's at work and home, I'm just greedy :LOL:

I recently converted to Mac OS X. I'm a computer programmer by day, and only really use my computer at home for email, web, dealing with pictures, downloading stuff and listening to music. For games I've got a DS Lite.

It's been a refreshing change moving to OS X. Initially, it's quite a shock how things are done differently - things like the dock, the location of the menu, how to install applications etc, but you should get used to it very quickly as it's very intuitive. A few days after using it I felt fairly confident. My girlfriend who has never used a Mac before managed to pick it up and just use it, as for her uses it's exactly the same as windows (Firefox and Thunderbird).

I have the bottom spec MacBook, which I've fitted with 2GB of ram and a 100GB HDD, using the initial 60GB as an external drive in an enclosure. Doing these yourself is simple and much cheaper than getting Apple to do it, and in the hard drives case, you end up having a spare drive - perfect for bunging in an enclosure for backups etc.

One thing to budget for is a memory upgrade - OS X doesn't play well with 512mb, especially if you try and run something intensive like Lightroom. :)

sloth said:
I recently converted to Mac OS X. I'm a computer programmer by day, and only really use my computer at home for email, web, dealing with pictures, downloading stuff and listening to music. For games I've got a DS Lite.

It's been a refreshing change moving to OS X. Initially, it's quite a shock how things are done differently - things like the dock, the location of the menu, how to install applications etc, but you should get used to it very quickly as it's very intuitive. A few days after using it I felt fairly confident. My girlfriend who has never used a Mac before managed to pick it up and just use it, as for her uses it's exactly the same as windows (Firefox and Thunderbird).

I have the bottom spec MacBook, which I've fitted with 2GB of ram and a 100GB HDD, using the initial 60GB as an external drive in an enclosure. Doing these yourself is simple and much cheaper than getting Apple to do it, and in the hard drives case, you end up having a spare drive - perfect for bunging in an enclosure for backups etc.

One thing to budget for is a memory upgrade - OS X doesn't play well with 512mb, especially if you try and run something intensive like Lightroom. :)

Thanks for the pointers. I am still deciding if it worth swapping over. My sister is getting a new iMac fairly soon so I might try and borrow that and see how we go!

I've always used macs (part of my job) for years, but when I needed something a bit beefy at home I would have gone the Mac route but 2 years ago for a grand you still didn't get that much mac for your money, plus I would have had to buy all the software which with just creative suite and quark alone would have come to around £1500 for software. So I built a PC instead with help from my MD and used his old software (legally of course), which came in at around £1000. There's not doubt about it macs are loads sexier then PC's will ever be, just look at a G5 witha 30" apple screen strapped to it....dogs dangly bits to coin a phrase.

Forgot, just get an imac (intel one) and run windows anyway best of both!!!

Back