Beginner Image Comment / Copyright Information.

The obvious ones? I add my information - name, email and copyright notice - to the metadata but this is strictly for information only. If someone wants to help themselves to your image, the metadata is easily changed.

I have noticed in my camera menu that there are options to add comments to an image and have copyright information added at source. Are there any benefits from this other than the obvious ones ?

It's your camera, your image file, your computer, therefore it is up to you if you want to add your name and comments to your images. Think of it as akin to some of us buying a book and write This book belongs to... on the inside of the book cover. Or similar to writing your name and Hands off!! warning on your lunch box. (The benefits.)

There is no rules saying that adding comments and copyright information is only suitable for the professionals who tend to be the ones who add © details to their images. (Other than the obvious ones.)

Anyone who used their camera and take photos are entitled to add any comments, no different from the days of when we used film and prints, and write comments on the back of the photograph. eg: Weekend break with girlfriend in London, 1990 or Family holiday in France, 1991. (The benefits.)

Although john.margetts is correct when he mention that when someone help themselves to your images (ie: copying your images off your Facebook or hacking into your computer and steal your images), they can change the metadata by removing your name and comments. There is always someone thick who don't know anything about how to change metadata or never thought of doing that, so you could be still lucky enough to sue that person by saying "That's my photo. Check the metadata, you'll see my name there." So you should not be put off adding name and comments, it still helps anyway, just a 50:50 chance.

Since it is your camera and your photographs, just feel free to toy around. Add a comment once in a while, and see how you feel about it.

I almost always change the IPTC/EXIF data in post.

However by setting the in camera data, it's always in the camera. Potentially handy if you lose it or it gets nicked!

I almost always change the IPTC/EXIF data in post.

However by setting the in camera data, it's always in the camera. Potentially handy if you lose it or it gets nicked!
This - I always set in camera - it stamps into every image metadata and is also in the camera in case of loss

Back