Image instantly loses quality when put online

Edit My Images
No
I'm really puzzled by this as I've NEVER known it happen before.

On screen, even full resolution, it looks fine.

purple.jpg

However, the second it goes online, I look at the image and I see this terrible mess. It looks as if it was really tiny and I stretched it as far as possible!! Oddly, the one place online where it looks ok is with an image hosting site, photobucket.

EVERYWHERE else I've tried it, it just falls apart.

I have no idea why this is happening, or what to do about it.

Any ideas??!

:thinking:

It's difficult to know what the actual problem is without knowing what you'd like to be seeing and what we're seeing. I take it the pink/purple toning is intentional? Other than that I'm struggling to see any huge probs.

As I'm sure you're aware, the compression software on some sites can have an adverse effect on your images, particularly when it reduces them to a max permitted size.

:thinking:

It's difficult to know what the actual problem is without knowing what you'd like to be seeing and what we're seeing. I take it the pink/purple toning is intentional? Other than that I'm struggling to see any huge probs.

As I'm sure you're aware, the compression software on some sites can have an adverse effect on your images, particularly when it reduces them to a max permitted size.

here you go...

n532130849_316317_1530.jpg

I shrunk the image down for the website but for some reason the result was a pixelated mess.

Just to add more confusion, the website has handled far larger images.....so...... :bang: :help:

You do appreciate that whenever you reduce an image in size it suffers a loss of definition and will always need sharpening? There are a lot of jpeg compression artifacts in that second shot mind you, but it's only 19 kb so it's hardly surprising.

Sorry - not talking down to you - I have no idea of your level of experience, but if you have a look in our tutorials forum, you'll find plenty of 'How To's' on optimally reducing pics for web viewing.

Welcome btw! (y)

Haha, thanks for the welcome :D :wave: And thank-you very much for such a quick response! :D

Unfortunately however I try to upload it, the result is the same. The website will allow full res images on there, I tried that, and it came out really pixelated like the smaller image. I re-sized it, then tried again.....to find the same pixelated result. I have tried it several times at different sizes but the result is always the same.

I have just tried uploading a different photo to the same site, in the same way and same size I tried the purple one. The result? Pin sharp.

It really does seem to be the only image that I'm having a problem with - I've never been so confused in all my life!

I'll go have a read of those tutorials you mentioned, it may help!

Well you get a free Photo Album in Gallery here. Our rules for hosting pics from Gallery here are max pixel size of 800 pixels on the longest side and max file size of 160kb or less. To see the shot at it's best it needs to meet that critera or less or it will get compressed and probably suffer a bit as a result.

Give it a go. ;)

I feel like giving up now :(

I read the tutorial, did it exactly as it said, yet the same thing happened :(

Try hosting the file somewhere and popping a link here - someone can then have a go at the same thing and we can determine if it's your picture, PC or something else.

Give us a link to the picture where it looks bad to you.

This is really simple, I think. It looks like it's all about the JPEG quality factor, which determines the compression ratio.

Pic #1 is 775 x 500 pixels and it has 303,923 bytes. An uncompressed image that size would require 775x500x3 = 1,162,500 bytes, so it has been compressed to 26% of its original file size.

Pic #2 is 465 x 300 pixels and it has 19,765 bytes. An uncompressed image that size would require 465x300x3 = 418,500 bytes, so it has been compressed to 5% of its original file size.

And there's the problem. Generally speaking, JPEGs still look OK if they are compressed to about 10-15% of the original file size. Smaller than that, and the image starts to degrade visibly. Pic #1 at 26% is fine. Pic #2 at 5% is simply too heavily compressed.

You need to check what JPEG quality settings you are using when you save the file.

er
nice pic
not sure about the colour, but like the pose

Back