Image manipulation

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a photo that I want to put inside a "sardine tin" image. How do I crop the runners image to fit inside the tin?

Like-Sardines-in-a-Can-013.jpg

You need a program that can work in layers: Photoshop, GIMP and OnOne Layers for example. Your original post doesn't show an image of runners for us to offer advice.

Yes and depending how critical the cut and paste has to be this would lend itself well to creating a highlight mask in channels then to create the edge then painting the rest of it through. Post the other image and il have a go if you want.

Given that the image posted is a stock image composite (the tin and the fish are separate images) would it not be cheaper to buy a stock image of the can without the fish already modified to work as an aperture layer?

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, or re-fill a tin.
But it depends on your skill level and tools available of course
Just a quick and dirty edit with a few minutes in photoshop.
More time, more care would produce a better image, but these are the basics for you to improve on.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Merkat-in-a-tin#.jpg

But it depends on your skill level and tools available of course
Just a quick and dirty edit with a few minutes in photoshop.
More time, more care would produce a better image, but these are the basics for you to improve on.

View attachment 91265

View attachment 91266

View attachment 91267

View attachment 91268

WOW! Maybe I should send you the images and donate a few squid to your named charity! Thanks for that.

WOW! Maybe I should send you the images and donate a few squid to your named charity! Thanks for that.
I don't mind taking a look for you, but I won't promise, depending on how many there are and some images are easier than others.

email them over to cobra@talkphotography.co.uk (y)

Great work from @Cobra not just doing it but providing a walk through.

And just to prove the above here is a screen grab of my method;

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.36.11 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

I went into colour channels, found one where there was good highlight shadow separation between the edges of the tin and the inside, created a new channel of it and used curves to crunch the white and black points. Then got a hard edged brush and tidied it up, with a bit of help from feathered lasso selections.

The red layer in the illustration simulates your one of the runners. Good thing with this method is you can edit the runners image within the tin selectively from the outside of the tin if you desire, or put adjustment layers on top to uniform the image.

The reason I like this method is photoshop does the hard part fro you and creates a nice anti aliased edge.

The reason I like this method is photoshop does the hard part fro you and creates a nice anti aliased edge.
As I said there are a few ways to skin a cat ( or a tin of fish) (y)

Tried to send the images thro' but they have been returned. Just tried again.
Got them what immediately springs to mind is they are different sizes and not everyone will fit in the tin.
1) does it matter?
2) which end are you prepared to lose?

Actually ignore those comments ...

The tin is from the internet - couldn't find any copyright - not using it to "put out there" and the running one is mine. It's my hobby.

Percy Pud 2016-3792.jpg

Brilliant Les! Love it to bits. I need to find out how to do this!

I downloaded stock image of the bottle. then downloaded your runner image

1. Open the bottle image
2. open the runner image and using the selection tool - draw around the runners
3. once this is done click Alt & C to copy
4. open the bottle image and click Alt & V this pastes the image on top of the bottle image
5. Click Alt & T to resize and position the image into the bottle. Erase any missed bits etc

save as a JPG- the open an image from file of a suitable back ground ( I used a flower bed for this composite)

draw around the saved bottle & runner image and repeat the Alt & C Alt & V alt & T to add to the BG image- simples :)

took me 3 mins to do this one below:

- once you get the hang of the formula the world is your oyster- any problems give me a shout

Last edited by a moderator:
or be really flashy and put the Runners inside a word lol :)

Les

Ok this took me 1/2 hour :) :)

w1qaUT3.jpg

have fun with Photo manipulation, I love it

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The tin is from the internet - couldn't find any copyright - not using it to "put out there" and the running one is mine. It's my hobby.
So? Just because you found it on the internet and couldn't easily locate the copyright owner/status doesn't make it "ok." Either you know with (reasonable) certainty you can legally use an image, or you can't... and "stock images" you pay for.
There are ways of easily going about it, even google has tools to make it easy.
Note this search. And look, there's the image along with a few more options.
View attachment 91324

Here it is on flickr... note the rights notification.
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.52.23 AM.png

And here are the terms of use:
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.52.03 AM.png

So, it turns out that if you use the source from flick'r, AND you follow the attribution requirements, then you can legally use the image.

TBH, I easily found higher resolution versions on the web, and because of that I can't be 100% certain the flick'r image is the original and not another "stolen version." But I'm not going to do all of the work for you...

Last edited:
Thanks for that. DELETED! I wouldn't use it for any purpose other than "playing" with the idea. Standing in the corner of the room duly told off.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be an ass... but sometimes our hypocrisy and understanding/application of copyrights kills me. We bitch about not getting paid and having our work "stolen," then turn around and copy an image for something we're working on without much thought/care.

Just to give an idea of why it matters. I found an authorized use of the original image w/ credit... it really wasn't that hard. The author is Volker Mohrke and the photo is a stock image that was managed by Corbis. Corbis was sold last January to Visual China Group and the images are now being managed by Getty.
In other words, it is most definitely not a free image. Yet nearly every version of it you can find online is an example of copyright violation, even the "CC licensed" one on flick'r I found earlier (and using that one would also be copyright violation). It seems to be a very popular image (original or modified)... Google turned up 21 pages of results using the image, and tin eye turned up 52 versions of it (a single version may be used on many pages). I'm sure many of those uses are examples of people just using the image for personal/non-commercial use... where someone else then lifts it from, even this forum now. In reality, every instance of the image on this page is a copyright violation, and everyone who posted one is guilty. Myself included because I linked/used the image from flickr that is (apparently) fraudulently licensed as CC (which I've since reported to Flick'r).

I bet Volker Mohrke would like to have been paid for all of that usage... maybe he would still be a working artist/photographer (I couldn't find anything current w/in the last 2 yrs).

Last edited:
I've been aware of a number of "steals" from Flickr and found one of my own images (possibly) of a flower box taken on Santorini on a site called "jelly something or other". Being an amateur, I might feel that it is a compliment, but for someone who makes a living from images ...

It's an image from the weekend at a local race. It's Eilish McColgan, Liz being her mum. She beat the course record and earned £1000, so did the male winner ... another £1000

Back