Image quality?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
When wanting to upload my pictures to a printing site I want the best quality images.

Usually when I'm done editing the image I save it as a jpeg. Now if I want to put them on canvas and have them blown up, what is the best file to save the images as?

Scott

jpg is compressed.. look for a format that isn't ... TIFF maybe.

It's unlikely they will accept a TIFF, the usual is 300dpi jpeg sized correctly for output...check with the printer you are using, they'll give you all the info you need.

I have done loads of tests - and a jpeg quaility 10 prints exactly the same as a tiff with one exception...

.... if you do a layout with type - particulary with serif fonts - use tif - if the lab allows

Basically I'm using an online site to produce me a canvas and the size they recommend is far to small for what I actually want.

How do I get around this?

I got some canvases done for a client recently and sent the printer the psd file. More difficult if you're doing it online though. I believe they have a way of decompressing the data from the jpg as the guy doing the printing also did a canvas for the same client from a fairly small jpg and blew it up to 2 foot by 3 foot. I've only had a quick glimpse at the finished product - I'll have a better look when they're up on the wall.

What size are they asking for and what size canvas do you want ?

One of the recommendations was 24x16 So that's what I went for. I will update you of the quality once it arrives.

Back