image reproduction request message on flickr, offer accepted

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Just logged into flcikr to see I have received a message, titled "Image reproduction Foggy Sea 2" Someone who is on an editorial team for art+ australia publishing is writing to seek permission to use and a high res copy in there next publication.

The person has nothing on flickr and only follows flickr, I googled and this website shows up http://www.artandaustralia.com/ , the persons name who sent me the message is on the website list.

Never been approached before and not sure if I should just ignore it or what to think,

What do you reckon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I assume that the image in question isn't downloadable from Flickr in the 'high res' being asked for? On the face of it, it sounds like a genuine request. Ask what the intended usage is - eg print, web, one-off? You need this before you can state an asking price - it's also relevant if they're making an offer. But images can be cheap these days ...

Try & find the circulation of the print journal. Looks pretty stylish! Assuming that it's a one-off, might not come to anything and you might not get paid much if anything - assume at least that your name will be on it, and ask yourself if that's worth anything for your public profile or your cv.

Decide if you want paying or not. If you're happy for it to be used then just send it (must be nice to have an image printed for the first time)

if you want paying, set out your terms. I'd monitor that publication to make sure it's not being used. Register to pixsy too which will help capture people using your images.

Would love to see your image :)

Have they (he or she) provided a contact point that is officially that organisation i.e. I found this page that shows a limited list of email addresses. http://www.artandaustralia.com/contact

Basically use the a&a links not Flickr because surely that is the only way to prove his bone fixed ! If you use or initially respond via a non a&a then ask for such a higher level contact route.

IMO no harm in opening a line of communication and as they appear to run commercially there should be a budget.

Best of luck with what & where this might lead :)

Ask him how much he is paying. That will probably kill the conversation.
Keep an eye on his magazine in case he just uses it anyway.

Looking again she is an intern on there site

Can I assume that the image in question isn't downloadable from Flickr in the 'high res' being asked for? On the face of it, it sounds like a genuine request. Ask what the intended usage is - eg print, web, one-off? You need this before you can state an asking price - it's also relevant if they're making an offer. But images can be cheap these days ...

Try & find the circulation of the print journal. Looks pretty stylish! Assuming that it's a one-off, might not come to anything and you might not get paid much if anything - assume at least that your name will be on it, and ask yourself if that's worth anything for your public profile or your cv.

There should bo download available, flickr settings were set so that it couldn't be downloaded I'm sure, It does look quite stylish doesn't it.

Decide if you want paying or not. If you're happy for it to be used then just send it (must be nice to have an image printed for the first time)

if you want paying, set out your terms. I'd monitor that publication to make sure it's not being used. Register to pixsy too which will help capture people using your images.

Would love to see your image :)

Well, would love to be paid for the use of it! Will have a look at pixsy and see what thats about

Have they (he or she) provided a contact point that is officially that organisation i.e. I found this page that shows a limited list of email addresses. http://www.artandaustralia.com/contact

Basically use the a&a links not Flickr because surely that is the only way to prove his bone fixed ! If you use or initially respond via a non a&a then ask for such a higher level contact route.

IMO no harm in opening a line of communication and as they appear to run commercially there should be a budget.

Best of luck with what & where this might lead :)

No other links or email was put in the message, so it would be better emailing them direct wouldn't it?

This is the image

foggy sea 2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

So seems only vaguely 'official' ~ were I in your shoes I would open a line of communication using the available email link on the page I found.

You mention that person's name is shown on the other page (the About page???) explaining the reason for the email and mentioning the Flickr contact and person making the request. This IMO is an appropriate and good way to clarify the bone fides of the request and get the 'arrangements' potential sorted quickly ;)

But in readiness but not necessarily in your opening email be sure of what you wish to achieve as best outcome from your perspective. Many threads here at TP covering such negotiations!

As you don't have any set fee in mind and probably not geared up for this sort of thing then i would send a reply (not ignore) stating that you would be delighted to supply your image to them and could they tell you what budget they have for the picture

99% sure you will get a no budget but will credit reply..

you can then either politely refuse or give them the picture.... 90% of pros will tell you to refuse.. But it's your picture and there is a thrill to first time published that money can't buy :)

So seems only vaguely 'official' ~ were I in your shoes I would open a line of communication using the available email link on the page I found.

You mention that person's name is shown on the other page (the About page???) explaining the reason for the email and mentioning the Flickr contact and person making the request. This IMO is an appropriate and good way to clarify the bone fides of the request and get the 'arrangements' potential sorted quickly ;)

But in readiness but not necessarily in your opening email be sure of what you wish to achieve as best outcome from your perspective. Many threads here at TP covering such negotiations!

As you don't have any set fee in mind and probably not geared up for this sort of thing then i would send a reply (not ignore) stating that you would be delighted to supply your image to them and could they tell you what budget they have for the picture

you can then either politely refuse or give them the picture.... 90% of pros will tell you to refuse.. But it's your picture and there is a thrill to first time published that money can't buy :)

Yep, quite surprised to see something official at the google search stage,! @KIPAX would you go straight to the contacts on the main website rather than replying via flickr?

Never used flikr so not sure how it works.. But if the contact came from there than thats where your reply will be read and presumably awaited..... using the website contact may not even get to the right person.. they may simply have no idea what your talking about.... just reply on flikr would be my own personal advice

I had similar from a Japanese pop group a few years ago ,for a album cover . I asked for and got £120 via PayPal .so I will assume by this request it’s genuine tell them yes and work out a fee that suits you and a method of payment .

I've had a couple like this, got paid different amounts each time. Got approached once by a painter who asked if she could copy my photo which I agreed to and asked to see it when finished. She painted two and sent me the smaller one.

There is an even better thrill that's being published for the first time AND being paid for it.Now that really is a thrill. Your slacking Kipax.

There is an even better thrill that's being published for the first time AND being paid for it.Now that really is a thrill. Your slacking Kipax.
It's probably been a long time since Kipax was first published. probably can't remember that far back :D

I ahve 34 pictures in todays lancashire telegraph including a decent size back page sports shot..and all paid for .... the thrill has been replaced by a sly smirk :)

I had similar today via another (non-photography related) forum that I'm a member of. Another member asked if I could send him a copy of the image so he could get a print done - I responded to say I couldn't send him the file, but that he could buy a print for £xx cost.

I am expecting a thanks but no thanks response off the back of that, but we'll see.

Well, nothing back so far, I looked on the website again today and it says, "see ya! We're on holidays, we'll be back February 2018"

well thats about that then :)

I have a design company and we have searched for images on Flickr in the past, I usually offer about £50 - £100 for print use. It's a good resource as you get more interesting pictures than iStock offers. Some photographers are happy and other ignore the requests

just logged into flickr to see this message!

Dear Michael,

Please provide a quote for the use of the image. It would be appreciated if you would keep in mind we are a small publishing group and operate as an academic publication so a thoughtful price would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,
Caitlin

So, I wonder what to reply with..
well thats about that then :)

So, I wonder what to reply with..
Ask, what they usually pay and for what purpose exactly. I for myself would write: £30 + a copy of that publication. ;)

So, they have accepted a figure and asked me to send an invoice and image credits to them, having not done this before what is the best way of creating an invoice, also the image credits, is that just my name, location etc?
Invoice can be as an email (in the email body), or maybe better as a pdf attachment ex your office program. State amount with acceptable methods of payment eg cheque, paypal, bank transfer, and any terms. Head it with your name (and trading name if any) and the date!

Credits - Name and copyright, basically, with an option to state place, time, equipment used etc if thought to be relevant to the currently intended usage.

Congrats ! First photo printed and even better paid work.

So, they have accepted a figure and asked me to send an invoice and image credits to them, having not done this before what is the best way of creating an invoice, also the image credits, is that just my name, location etc?

Out of interest what was the figure, as we have seen numbers from 0-100 in this thread alone. Personally I would have been happy with around the £50 being totally new to the game.

Invoice can be as an email (in the email body), or maybe better as a pdf attachment ex your office program. State amount with acceptable methods of payment eg cheque, paypal, bank transfer, and any terms. Head it with your name (and trading name if any) and the date!

Credits - Name and copyright, basically, with an option to state place, time, equipment used etc if thought to be relevant to the currently intended usage.
I use open office. So basically the image title, for use in your next issue, payment figure and please pay to PayPal, I assume PayPal would be the best way.
Thanks for the reply.

Congrats ! First photo printed and even better paid work.

Out of interest what was the figure, as we have seen numbers from 0-100 in this thread alone. Personally I would have been happy with around the £50 being totally new to the game.
So originally I asked for £120, the reply was that is too much and that is what they would normally pay for 2_3 images, so I thought, that's £40-£60 per image, so I said based on they put I asked for £60 and they agreed! It's amazing that it's actually occurred! Something to brighten the days up...

thats the way to do it ,gives you a nice feeling to WD :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Back