Image retouching.

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
My 2nd real try at portrait retouching, went for an extreme look with this one, flawless skin, etc. (know it obviously won't be to everyones taste) but I think I've avoided the overly plastic skin look & the pores are still visible in the larger image.
I'll post up the original when I've seen how this one's been received (or if you're impatient then you can just look in the model shots area of my gallery :LOL:)

C&C welcome & appreciated as usual (y)

S_retouched.jpg

Cheers for looking (y)

I think the "effect" has its place Mike, and your right, it's not too "plasticy"
but in this instance I prefer the original (y)

I like it - I think you've achieved what you set out to do. Its a great shot too, well lit. Was I there when you took it?

Interesting Mike, but the problems arise in the right hand side of the face (her left) where you've created almost a Manga effect. i think the rest looks absolutely fine so maybe the problem is exacerbated by the darker tones?

Definately worth persevering with though as (aside from above comment) it looks pretty effective!

I think the "effect" has its place Mike, and your right, it's not too "plasticy"
but in this instance I prefer the original (y)

Cheers for the feedback Chris (y)

I like it - I think you've achieved what you set out to do. Its a great shot too, well lit. Was I there when you took it?

You were there mate & I think I took it from the back of the room whilst you were shooting. It is actually a terribly lit shot, can't wait to try it with a decent shot.
Cheers for the feedback btw (y)

Interesting Mike, but the problems arise in the right hand side of the face (her left) where you've created almost a Manga effect. i think the rest looks absolutely fine so maybe the problem is exacerbated by the darker tones?

Definately worth persevering with though as (aside from above comment) it looks pretty effective!

Cheers for commenting Jonny, much appreciated mate (y) I can kind of see what you mean about the manga style but it doesn't seem too bad from here (oh well, another monitor calibration on the way then :LOL:)

Well as a woman I love the retouched photo!

I prefer the post-processed version
the touch was light and the model still looks human
dunno what "manga" is, but the model's left cheek is slightly orange(?)

As a newbie around here, this is the first version I've seen and I don't know where to look for your original.

I personally love the portrait and that's a rare thing for me to say as I think most portrait shots are boring. Can I see the original to appreciate the full extent of your work?

In regards to Jonny's comment about the 'manga', I can't see what he's referring to, and not sure if it could be Jonny's monitor? No disrespect intended Jonny, it's just a comment. :)

I think i prefer the processed one to the original, as the original is a little dark and shadowy, and doesnt give as much of an impression to look at. You seem to have achieved the general flawless "look" you were going for and its quite a striking portrait imo. She almost looks a little bit like a shop mannequin! :)

I've not sent her a copy yet, thought I'd get feedback here first (y)

She's a very pretty girl, Mike
And I still prefer the original (y) :D

i think somewhere in between the two shots would be good, the processed one is too overdone for me. The art of doing this kind of processing is to make it look unprocessed, yours doesn't come out like that to me.

the original needs touching up in colours/levels and maybe the skin could use a smoothing a bit.

So as i said somewhere in between.

As for the shot, i really like it, nice expression and a good angle. I like the shadows in her hair the most.

I like it Mike as a style to be developed I think it has great potential personally I try to avoid "hot spots" in portraits especially if you are looking for even skin tone and suitable smoothing I think you chose a very difficult image to start with but the end result is good it takes a bit of working at and every image is different good fun though.

Cheers
Bill

I think the 1st has its merits, mayhap a tad too far, but very good none the less.
The 2nd (original) shows how far you took the shot. So 9.5/10 for processing skills, but why didnt
you give her a haircut/tidy at the same time?

On first seeing the edited version I thought you had done a really good job and not gone to far.

Then when you see the original compare them I can't help but think maybe you did, I don't know why though :LOL:

Original definitely needed some PP (imo) and your skills in doing so are excellent (y)

The art of doing this kind of processing is to make it look unprocessed, yours doesn't come out like that to me.

Cheers for the feedback Charlie. I never try to hide the fact that I heavily post process my shots tbh & went for an extreme look as usual. If I was approaching the client with an image like this for magazine editorial then I'd have to be a bit less heavy handed :)

Thanks also to Bill, Paul & Lee (y)

Back