Image review on Nikon Z6 and Z7

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a quick question about the image review functionality on the Z6 and Z7.

I expect it to work the same way as on Nikon DSLRs. When you're viewing an image, press the up/down keys to cycle through various information displays - EXIF data, histograms, highlights, etc. (And on the Z6/Z7, the DISP button offers the same functionality.)

But I have a Z6 and a Z7 here, and none of that functionality worked. The buttons worked, the image review worked, but those buttons didn't do anything in playback mode.

I did a bit of investigation and it looks to me like Nikon have made a subtle change to the way the playback menu works. There's a menu item called 'Playback display options' where you can select which image information is available - highlights yes/no, histograms yes/no, etc. The change, however, is that on DSLRs those menu choices are preserved when you reset the camera, whereas on the Z6/Z7 they are reset when you reset the camera. The default settings on the Z6/Z7 are for no information, and that explains why I thought the functionality wasn't working.

So: Can anybody confirm that my analysis is correct? And if so, is there a workaround or a way of changing the behaviour?

Try saving your settings as U1, U2 etc
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that's not a viable solution. I operate a hire business so I can't control how a customer chooses to use the camera and it's not realistic to expect them to use U1, U2 etc instead of Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority etc.

I have a quick question about the image review functionality on the Z6 and Z7.

I expect it to work the same way as on Nikon DSLRs. When you're viewing an image, press the up/down keys to cycle through various information displays - EXIF data, histograms, highlights, etc. (And on the Z6/Z7, the DISP button offers the same functionality.)

But I have a Z6 and a Z7 here, and none of that functionality worked. The buttons worked, the image review worked, but those buttons didn't do anything in playback mode.

I did a bit of investigation and it looks to me like Nikon have made a subtle change to the way the playback menu works. There's a menu item called 'Playback display options' where you can select which image information is available - highlights yes/no, histograms yes/no, etc. The change, however, is that on DSLRs those menu choices are preserved when you reset the camera, whereas on the Z6/Z7 they are reset when you reset the camera. The default settings on the Z6/Z7 are for no information, and that explains why I thought the functionality wasn't working.

So: Can anybody confirm that my analysis is correct? And if so, is there a workaround or a way of changing the behaviour?

Menu for Playback display options, Check as required. I checked them all for purposes of trying it out.
Setting them and reviewing the image, then using the D pad to scroll up gives all the info required.
Turning the camera off does not reset them on my Z6

Menu for Playback display options, Check as required..... Turning the camera off does not reset them on my Z6
Correct. But resetting the camera *does* reset them, whereas on DSLRs resetting the camera *doesn't* reset them. That's my problem.

Correct. But resetting the camera *does* reset them, whereas on DSLRs resetting the camera *doesn't* reset them. That's my problem.

Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood

Was trying to figure out why my arrows weren’t working! Thanks for posting

Back