Image searching on PC.

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
Windows 8/10 had a search 'Photos' ability with key words......not the titles but a descriptive term.
Example..... Type 'Birds' or 'Trees' and it would find appropriate images containing the subjects to a reasonable degree.
MS forums simply state that MS have dropped it.
Are there any free applications with a similar ability?

Hmm, I don't use the Photos app but a quick check confirms your issue.

I just typed "kestrel" into Windows 11 file explorer and it found a couple of hundred images on my hard drive - all images are keyworded in LRC before saving to disk. Probably not what you want though.

No, but Thankyou ;)
I title in Capture One but just save in specific folders.
Holidays/Events/Places.
All titled What, When and Where.
Sadly I'm much too late to start doing things the sensible way.
Again Thanks.

I think you can still do it with images stored in onedrive, as Microsoft use AI (I know I know, technically machine learning rather than AI if you to split hairs !!!) to drive it and it being in the cloud makes it easy for their servers to process.

If you have a free hotmail/Outlook account you should have 5gb of onedrive space. If you have a paid office subscription likely you will have more space.

Reactions: EJB
Try something like photoprism? I haven't used it but it looks like it will scan your photos and add labels that would help searching.

Moz my images are stored in Pictures on my PCs which is via Onedrive by MS default.
Have tried MS but as already suggested it seems to be a No No!

Tim I have looked at Photprism but not been able to make any sense of it.....but will try harder!

Thank you both.

Back