Image size reduction help

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a load of images in a folder on my iMac which i would like to reduce the file size. Currently they are all saved at the maximum quality of 12 but if i reduce them to a 10 then it halves their size or there about. The folder size at the moment is over 10gig but i would like to reduce the total size to around 8gig to fit on some spare memory sticks i have. Is there a way to reduce the size as a full batch/folder in Photoshop rather than do them one at a time.I don't use lightroom so photoshop answers would be best.Thanks..

My guess would be...

- Create an Action to do the save as 10 quality. (Open the Actions palette and press the record button, go through the motions for doing 1 photo, then press stop)
- Go to File>Automate>Batch and set up the relevant folders to apply your new action to multiple folders/files.

I used this for the same purpose quite a long time ago, so I know it's possible - just can't remember the details... Might need a bit of Googling if the above instructions aren't clear enough.

You can use Photoshop's automation to do this (File>Automate>Batch). First create an action that does what you want, then you can use the batch command to apply it to an entire folder/tree.
It's also possible to specify a different output destination, so you could resize and write direct to the memory stick in one operation.

Back