Image Stabilisation working?

Name
Pedro
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just upgraded my original Canon lens (EF-S 18-55mm non IS) with a EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS STM version.

I bought it from what appears to be a reputable seller on Ebay. Advertised as a new white box kit lens. It certainly seems new and I am particularly impressed with how quiet it is, which brings me to my query.

Before this, the only stabilised lens I've used has been my Tamron telephoto 18-200mm, where the IS is quite noisy and you can really see it engage in the viewfinder, especially at longer focal lengths.

With my new EF-S 18-55mm there is nothing obvious to indicate that IS is working. The lens is very quiet and being a 'short' lens I am finding it tricky to see any sign of IS operation in the viewfinder.

If anyone has any tips on how to test that IS is working, I would be most grateful.

If you hold it really close to your ear (attached to camera) then gently touch the shutter button you should hear it whir up very quietly but that ensures it’s working

Take two images at very slow shutter speed - one with IS enabled and one not.
At very slow shutter speed IS may not be effective. Trying 5 shots each of a still object or scene at about 1/30 to 1/15 of a second hand-held at the 55mm end with and without IS on should let you know if it's working, unless you have a very steady hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go.
Having just received the lens, I wanted to check that everything is ok.
I think the lens is good, I just wanted to make sure the IS is working.

I have that lens and the IS is very quiet. You have to have your ear right up against the side of the lens barrel to hear the IS working. Also be in a quiet place. You should hear a slight whirring sound.

Back