Image stabilisation

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Just got myself the Olympus E410 as was bargain, have realised that it doesn't have image stabilisation (more apparent this morning when taking some shots in dull conditions).

I know i have just got it, but have a possibility of an E1, would you upgrade? I know the Mp is only 5 on the E1, but seems a better system.

What would you do?

Thanks

Mark

Well if you want IS, then no as the E-1 doesn't have it.

The E-1 has a lot of positives, better build and arguably more 'pro' spec, but to be brutally honest I would say that unless there is anything you are particularly unhappy with on the E410, stick where you are and save future upgrade cash for better glass (or perhaps a body with IS and better high ISO performance).

The E-1 is now showing its age a bit - doesn't mean it's a bad camera, it most certainly isn't - but the technology available in entry level current dSLRs is pretty amazing.

Cheers,
James

The E410 is a pretty decent camera in its sector so I'd stick with it, IS is useful but certainly wouldn't discard the E410 because it doesn't have it...spend £30 on a monopod, find mine very useful although it does depend on the subjects your shooting of course

Simon

Having spent a full year with a 410 before upgrading I am sure you will have plenty of good days with it. You are just unlucky to have bought it when light is at a premium and have discovered it's limitations straight away. I bought mine in September on my way to Barcelona and followed that with a trip to Mexico so it took me a while to realise that low light is not its (or Olympus sensors in general) forte.
Once the light returns you will find it's a great little camera, especially for travel as it is is so small/light. However, if you want to do lots of indoor shooting it will drive you mad :)
I eventually bought an E3 but I still wouldn't recommend that for anything with poor light. The E3 does have IS which does give you a stop or two help at times (not always) but you would be better off improving your technique of hand holding with the 410. It takes practice but once you have it sussed you won't miss IS except for long focal length work, where you know you should be using a tripod but you just couldn't be bothered to bring one with you ;)

Back