image theft result

Do they make sure that they're using the right picture for the right lens? Even if they're picture thieving rat bags that'd be one good thing to hang on to...
Is that one a good example for you to change the image involved for one that is, to the hot-linker, irrelevant???
Totally no idea what hot linking is or how it works ... just comes up as a warning on pixsy when I try to submit them

Totally no idea what hot linking is or how it works ... just comes up as a warning on pixsy when I try to submit them

I stand to be corrected but think it is where the offending party has not copied your picture but just(?) linked to it on their website..................hence if you change the picture at that (your) location you may have to give the same file to 'trick' the offender into not noticing the swap. That then means that the picture that is displayed on the offenders website is no longer the one they picked of yours, that Pixsy found ;)

Hotlinking is the same as posting an image or video here, either from your own webspace, or someone else's website. If the source of the file is deleted or changed, then it should no longer appear where it has been linked.

For example Youtube make it easy for anyone to share and embed on sites and forums, you are linking to the video, and it appears on the page where it is linked, but it is not technically copying. Sadly people are doing that, but using the linked images to sell a product or service. Technically they have not copied an image, but it appears on their page as if it were an image pasted into a webpage, which is why Pixsy can't do anything with sites like that using people's images. If Youtube changed or deleted a linked video, the link would be broken and not show wherever it was linked. So if someone finds results that their images are being linked to, they could just delete or move the image and break all the links.

While that could be fun, changing the link to an image which says 'I am a thieving b*****d' for example, ;) chopping and changing similar images regularly could potentially harm how searchable they are, if that was a reason for posting online.

Last edited:
Not a very clever idea.

a) That's perilously close to defamation

b) Infringement isn't theft

c) Hotlinking is perfectly legal in the EU.
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooo

And that is the virtual sound of a joke passing over your head. The wink normally gives it away. Looks like I will have to use the laughing emoji too. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooo

And that is the virtual sound of a joke passing over your head. The wink normally gives it away. Looks like I will have to use the laughing emoji too. :rolleyes: :LOL:

I got the fact that you were trying to be amusing.

Not a great idea with legal advice, because someone will actually do it.

I got the fact that you were trying to be amusing.

Not a great idea with legal advice, because someone will actually do it.
Legal advice! Who's giving legal advice! Not me. I was just describing how hotlinking works, and why Pixsy can't do anything about people who link images, rather than copy images and post copied images on a website.

And I doubt many people would give legal advice in a humorous manner, and/or people would take legal advice from someone being humorous. ;) But hey, if you think I was giving legal advice whilst trying to be amusing, I can confirm that that was not the case. The 'legal advice' bit, not the trying to be amusing bit. ;) :LOL:

Getting back on track ,I just wish the initial search engine discarded hotlinked images as it takes time to go through them fill in the claims form only to get the this image is hotlinked at the end

Getting back on track ,I just wish the initial search engine discarded hotlinked images as it takes time to go through them fill in the claims form only to get the this image is hotlinked at the end

I just had that on one of mine. I also got an email from them yesterday saying that the 3rd party wasn't playing ball and they now need to another legal team involved. I understand that this may take a little longer but could result in a better payout.

I stand to be corrected but think it is where the offending party has not copied your picture but just(?) linked to it on their website..................hence if you change the picture at that (your) location you may have to give the same file to 'trick' the offender into not noticing the swap. That then means that the picture that is displayed on the offenders website is no longer the one they picked of yours, that Pixsy found ;)
I had a mate, he used to swap the pic that was hotlinked for a pic of a fresh steaming doggy do-do.

I just had that on one of mine. I also got an email from them yesterday saying that the 3rd party wasn't playing ball and they now need to another legal team involved. I understand that this may take a little longer but could result in a better payout.
they are like a dog with a bone if they think its possible they will pursue it while there's a chance ..and I know from experience they only go for large payouts

Had mine last night just under £300 , had to pay half to the wife as she paid the tax on my new car last week .but as redhead says it’s money I never had before

How many use the free plan vs a paid plan? Just curious as I check it every once in a while but it still has a lot of my old images due to using the free plan (so limited number of uploads). Can’t decide whether to try the paid plan or not.

EDIT: just for those that may not know (as I didn’t, but that could just be me [emoji3]), if you have a flickr Pro account, then you get 1000 pics included on the free plan when they are linked.

Last edited:
Just signed up for this, quite shocked I had 12 matches instantly and they were all mine, no idea what to do now :thinking:

none of them seem major, just blogs etc.

But anyway, just wasn't sure if ppl knew about the link to Flickr Pro, you get 1000 images and 10 takedowns included.

Just signed up for this, quite shocked I had 12 matches instantly and they were all mine, no idea what to do now :thinking:

none of them seem major, just blogs etc.

But anyway, just wasn't sure if ppl knew about the link to Flickr Pro, you get 1000 images and 10 takedowns included.
They will only pursue them if the pictures are being used commercially , blogs ,hot links etc are not worth chasing so best to follow the links through to point of use

So is there anything we need to do or do we just autpmatically hold copywrite?
Copyright is automatically assigned to the photographer but it makes sense to try to protect that copyright by, for example, embedding copyright into the image.
Most good cameras have a section in the menu to record these details.

All true and good advice... but I've read that US courts are declining to pursue copyright claims for images where the copyright has not been registered (presumably with the US (C) Office or the Library of Congress). Probably close to irrelevant for non-USians, though I'm not sure how misuse of UK copyright material by US citizens/corporations applies.

They will only pursue them if the pictures are being used commercially , blogs ,hot links etc are not worth chasing so best to follow the links through to point of use
Do you just hit the submit case type thing on all let them sort it out ?

All true and good advice... but I've read that US courts are declining to pursue copyright claims for images where the copyright has not been registered (presumably with the US (C) Office or the Library of Congress). Probably close to irrelevant for non-USians, though I'm not sure how misuse of UK copyright material by US citizens/corporations applies.
In my experience they work world wide where possible , I have had successes from several countries

Do you just hit the submit case type thing on all let them sort it out ?

That would be utopia Scott , no you have to do the initial footwork/ searching etc establish if its a live image , where it’s being used and if money or services are being made from the use of your photos .. I probably spend a morning per month going through looking for new ones if I submit for instance 6 claims if 2 are accepted then it’s a good ratio ..

though I'm not sure how misuse of UK copyright material by US citizens/corporations applies.
Where both countries are signatory to the Berne Convention I believe that the plaintiff chooses the jurisdiction.

Back