Images from a Ghost town

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I wasn't sure where to put these images so i opted for this forum....

Taken at Oradour s/ Glane, France. This village was destroyed by the German army on 10th June 1944 killing nearly 700 inhabitants. The village remains a ghost town as a remembrance and can be visited.

Rusty Car by andywest1, on Flickr

Rusty Car by andywest1, on Flickr

Oradour s/ Glane, France by andywest1, on Flickr

All three are strong images, but that first one really blew me away. The DOF is really spot on. Well done. I remember the begininng of one of "The World at War" series, where this village is shown as the introduction. Very moving. It seems that the Germans were retaliating for attacks by the French resistance, but they got the village name wrong, and the village they were after was 50 miles away from this place.

Thanks Rob.

Like these. Rich colours, detail and charpness in all 3, especially #1 and #2.

#3 looks very eerie.

Few different compositions may help - low down, rule of thirds, etc, and I suspect #3 would make a cracking B&W.

Somewhere I'd like to go.

Thanks for posting.

That's eerie, do you have any more picture's please?

Hard to offer any c&c on these and thankfully they're in the wrong forum to do so
....just to add that they are thought provoking,well taken images

That last one is stunning, it lends itself to B&W so well.

Echoing previous comments, that first photo is amazing. They are all great!

Viewing on my phone so I can't fully benefit from them though! Even better on a full size monitor I'd say.

:D no worries :)

Thanks for the pics Edward, I never noticed the bullet holes but then I never knew what happened in the church until after we left the village. Sad place and quite spooky. I would love to go there at night!

Last edited:
Lovely set of photo's. Brings back alot of memories from when i visited there a number of years ago. Did you notice the lack of birds in and around the villiage?

Out of curiosity is the DoF done in PP on the first two?

I did add just a tad of gausian blur but just a little to smooth out the bokeh.

Did you notice the lack of birds in and around the villiage?
Erm now you mention it there was very little in the way of wildlife but it's a big country!:D I do sometimes 'feel' when spirit are arround but i felt nothing while i was there except the general spookynes f the place.

AndyWest said:

Erm now you mention it there was very little in the way of wildlife but it's a big country!:D I do sometimes 'feel' when spirit are arround but i felt nothing while i was there except the general spookynes f the place.

We noticed that no birds would fly over the ruined village. There were plenty in the surrounding land. Very surreal place.

Thought so (y) just a few give away spots, 2nd image front wheel arch is one, tidy them up and it would be great :)

Thanks all :)

Excellent pics, got me considering a few days in France just to visit the town.

Do it, it's well worth it!!!!

Thanks for posting these. I've known about Oradour sur Glane for a long time, but I've never had the chance to visit it. Perhaps I will one day.

Strictly speaking, the massacre was carried out by the Waffen SS, not the German Army (Heer). They mistook Oradour sur Glane for their real target of Oradour-sur-Vayres, although that obviously doesn't reduce their culpability.

A very good set of images. Was the car the only interesting subject though.

Back