Images in Windows Photo Viewer much darker than in other apps

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Capture_zpsefe67f23.png

See above screenshot on the left is LR, on the right is the exported file in Windows Photo Viewer.

Below is the exported file uploaded.
IMG_0361_zpsb528ed31.jpg

I have also downloaded a photo from the net and opened it in photo viewer and it is too dark. Any idea why photo viewer is showing them so dark?

I have Colormunki software running but wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.

I'd forget about Photo Viewer or anything from M'soft for examining anything photographic - that's just a sad fact of life. Look elsewhere. It's tedious, I know.

@chris-red

Re-profile your system using ICC v.2 profiling, NOT v.4 (this should be in the color munki preferences)

Windows doesn't play nice with V4.

That will sort it... but you will have to re-profile after you've set it to V2.0 in order to set the new v2 profile as system default for windows colour management.

That's NOT it... If he does any of that, he'll remove his screen profiling!!! @chris-red .. do NOT follow the advice in the above links! It will fix your windows viewer issue, but you'll no longer be profiled using your color munki !

His system is obviously profiled already as he's using the color munki software, but he's using the wrong ICC version. Common problem this.

Last edited:
@neil_g

Had the same issue myself Neil. I can pretty much guarantee it's v4.0 ICC profile causing the issue, and it's not a problem with the image's embedded profile, but the profile set as system default, which would have been created when he profiled with his Color Munki.

..I could be wrong though.. LOL

We;ll find out in due course :)

Funny thing is this happened to me yesterday.
Images looked OK in LR, but were very dark when looked at the finished article in Windows.

I don't use Colour Munki!

Problem recurred today, then just cleared itself, and everything is OK now.

Windows haven't been sending some wierd updates have they?

@chris-red

Re-profile your system using ICC v.2 profiling, NOT v.4 (this should be in the color munki preferences)

Windows doesn't play nice with V4.

That will sort it... but you will have to re-profile after you've set it to V2.0 in order to set the new v2 profile as system default for windows colour management.

That's NOT it... If he does any of that, he'll remove his screen profiling!!! @chris-red .. do NOT follow the advice in the above links! It will fix your windows viewer issue, but you'll no longer be profiled using your color munki !

His system is obviously profiled already as he's using the color munki software, but he's using the wrong ICC version. Common problem this.

Thanks I'd already read the first links posted and disregarded it, I'll have a go tonight. It's very strange I don't remember re profiling recently and this only seems to have happened in the last few weeks. Hopefully I'll get time to have a look tonight if not it'll be Wednesday. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Please do, as if it's not the v4.0 problem it's a mystery. I like mysteries :)

Back