Imperfect, but I still like it ...

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Scan_2011_142-1.jpg

I have a soft spot for this image. It was taken in my favourite city on earth (Venice) and was from the first roll of film (Fuji Acros 100) that I ever developed myself (today, actually :)).

It's blurred by a combination of long shutter speed (without tripod) and shallow DOF (with the focus on the flowers), but it seems to have come out with a kind of 'oil painting' feel ;).

Some of you will hate this 'faulty' capture and please feel free to say so, but I wanted to put it out there and see of anyone else can find anything endearing about it :D.

Oooooooh no, it's not sharp :runaway: :LOL:

Very nice, exactly the type of thing I've been disappointed about not seeing on here!
Good to see more people using blurry photos & film :D

-J

Sorry Andy. doesn't work for me...Too soft. Not seen many B&W oil paintings either.

Keep sharin' and keep on shootin'

You know what, I real like this. Its the total opposite of what I might strive for in my pictures but I think it really works.

Mart

Oooooooh no, it's not sharp :runaway: :LOL:

Very nice, exactly the type of thing I've been disappointed about not seeing on here!
Good to see more people using blurry photos & film :D

-J

:D Well Joe, the camera shake blur was unintentional (I was trying to focus only on the near walls and have the bridge OOF), but in the one which succeeded, I didn't care for the result as much :shrug: ...

Scan_2011_152_01.jpg

Please excuse the dust and hairs, I haven't cleaned that one up yet.

Sorry Andy. doesn't work for me...Too soft. Not seen many B&W oil paintings either.

Keep sharin' and keep on shootin'

That's OK Nigel, I didn't expect many people to like it :), I'm just pleased to hear what their reaction is. Point taken about b&w oil paintings, too :D.

You know what, I real like this. Its the total opposite of what I might strive for in my pictures but I think it really works.

Mart

Thanks Mart, but this was more of an accident than anything else, as I too normally strive for great sharpness and accurate focus. It just seems that film 'accidents' have a slightly different look to digital accidents and I rather like this particular train wreck :LOL:.

It reminds me of a photo from the 1800s, when longer exposures and more primitive lenses often meant that such a picture would have been deemed 'satisfactory' :|.

It's sort of okay because of where/what it is, but do I think you (or anyone else) should start posting more blurred images ... well no! :)

I think it's a brilliant PHOTOGRAPH, it looks like a piece of art, rather than a digitally captured recording of light levels and colours. Nice accident :)

I think it's a brilliant PHOTOGRAPH, it looks like a piece of art, rather than a digitally captured recording of light levels and colours. Nice accident :)

:agree:

It's sort of okay because of where/what it is, but do I think you (or anyone else) should start posting more blurred images ... well no! :)

Well, I'm not trying to encourage that sort of behaviour, gramps ;). I've taken my share of blurry photos over the years, but this is possibly the only one that I've ever decided to post anywhere. I just thought that it had 'something' :|.

Thanks! I was shocked when I saw it amongst the scans from that roll, because I didn't recall taking it and seemed almost as if it had been sent from another century to 'haunt' my camera :D. As you say, it was a 'nice accident' for me.

OOooo I love Venice! and great photo, it's got some magic! My girlfriend and I went for the first time last month, great place to take photos! here is my gallery of some of the photos I took there http://kspencerjones.smugmug.com/Travel/Venice/

I too only discovered Venice in 2011 - visiting once in February to photograph the Carnival (Link ...) and again in November for some landscape shots (Link ...). Pics are all digital though, I'm afraid :shake:.

I really enjoyed going through your SmugMug pix, Karlis :). I recognised almost all of the locations and it was good to see how another photographer approached them. Lovely set (y)!

Back