Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I've grabbed your attention. :D

As you may have noticed, we have been recently experiencing problems with the server occasionally falling over or slowing down.
Well, as promised, and solely thanks to member donations, we've purchased new hosting.

Since the inception of TalkPhotography (Or as then, TPF), we have always been with the hosts www.catalyst2.com.
From day one, right up to now, they've been absolutely sterling hosts. We couldn't have asked for more. Throughout the past 18 months, they've responded to support tickets promptly, efficiently, and very very helpfully, often helping us out with things that they really should have charged us for but didn't.

We feel that we need to say that our move is no reflection on Catalyst2, and we will still be using the current hosting account for something (watch this space). The reason we have moved is that we have outgrown our account and we needed something more suitable. In the end, someone else won on price and features. So we'd just like to give a hearty :clap: to Catalyst2 and a thanks for putting up with some of us moaning at them for 18 months :D

Anyway, onto our current situation. We now have new hosting.
I've installed the forums over there, and have done a trial run of importing the database. Everything seems to be going tickety boo.

Now normally we'd just point the domain names to the new host and you lot would be none the wiser. However a few things are now different, and besides I want to reimport the database as I have missed off all the posts and activity from this afternoon.

So this is what's going to happen.

Later this evening I'm going to close the forums. Probably around 11pm when it *should* be quiet (and still give me chance to get to bed at a respectable time...lol).
I'll close the current forums with a message explaining so.
While the forums are closed, I will point the domain names to the new host. This can take anything up to 24 hours to propagate for each of you depending on ISP (usually it's just an hour or two).
Also, I will reimport the database onto the new server, and open the forums over there as soon as possible.

I'm anticipating maximum forum downtime of 1 hour, while I carry out the work needed. Note you won't be able to access the new forums until your ISP catches up with the domain names.
So when the forums are closed, give me an hour max, then try the new forums URL, which will be http://forums.talkphotography.co.uk/
You will still be able to use http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums which will just redirect you to the correct address.
So as soon as you see open forums, you'll be able to post on them, as they will be the new ones (y)

Does any of that make sense?

Makes perfect sense

Good luck with the moves, and beware that DNS transfers can take upto 72 hours but anyone with the larger ISPs should be within 24 hours as you say.

Yup, you're right.

We *do* have a temporarily solution for those IT savvy enough to edit a file on their PC in notepad, while they wait for their ISP to catch up but I'd rather save that as a last resort.

It's how I've been accessing the forums today with no domain name pointing to the hosting. ;)

I would just like to add my thanks to the team at catalyst2, Jacob especially, for the help and support they have given us, most helpful indeed. As Marcel says, we havent finished with this space, more to come there later.

Thanks for Marcel to for doing all the donkey work while the rest of us sit around and drink tea......

onward and upward!

Don't forget Rob. He was a right ole diamond, especially when we set the forums up.

And he's a member on here, just conspicuous by his absence.....the slacker. :p

Well done marcel

The new hosting should be fast and reliable and i'm not expecting any issues at all through this.

In fact.....i'll be in bed :D

Marcel said:
Later this evening I'm going to close the forums. Probably around 11pm when it *should* be quiet (and still give me chance to get to bed at a respectable time...lol).

That'll be the usual 5am then when the milkman comes and tells you its time to go to bed :D

Hope all goes well mate :) - we will watch for white smoke in anticipation. Black smoke either means your house is on fire, or the server has overloaded.

Allan

yes Rob, hes a busy man!

Marcel said:
Yup, you're right.

We *do* have a temporarily solution for those IT savvy enough to edit a file on their PC in notepad, while they wait for their ISP to catch up but I'd rather save that as a last resort.

It's how I've been accessing the forums today with no domain name pointing to the hosting. ;)

Give us the IP address then you tease :naughty:

Good Luck Marcel, your our only hope;)

(y)

Well Done Marcel, appears to be working just fine :clap:

Jobs a goodun! I've been watching the users online and waiting for either you or GfK to post :D

So have your ISP's propagated the new DNS servers already? Or did you get here by IP / Hosts file?

Well I was just passing, like I usually am between 5pm and 4pm - every day;)

Used the IP address, still waiting for DNS to catch - seems a hell of alot faster overall (y)

DNS working aswell:)

Warspite said:
Well I was just passing, like I usually am between 5pm and 4pm - every day;)

Used the IP address, still waiting for DNS to catch - seems a hell of alot faster overall (y)

DNS working aswell:)

Are you using the IP address in conjunction with editing your HOSTS file too? As far as I understood that's the only way to access a subdomain via IP (as I found out today).

It's how I've been accessing it today :)

No editing - it does take me to the "you will be moved to the new address in 5 secs" then it does so.

Then your ISP has already propagated :) I *think*

Ideally, when they have propagated, gallery.talkphotography.co.uk should also work (and redirect you to tpfgallery.com for the time being while we port the gallery over).

In my case though, the forums are working, but the gallery isn't....and www.talkphotography.co.uk still points to the old domain :thinking:

Strange...at least I know it should all pan out nicely once ISP's catch up.

Well done Marcel (y)

Working fine here...I got the re-direct page.

It doesn't matter how many times you move, I'm one step behind :naughty:

working here too, though i think looking at the numbers its a little slow catching up with the rest of the world

cant see a banner, that much i know!

Everything working fine here :D I panicked for a moment as all the posts were locked, but then realised I wasn't logged in...phew

Well done team (or should that be Marcel ;)) :clap:

minimeeze said:
Everything working fine here :D I panicked for a moment as all the posts were locked, but then realised I wasn't logged in...phew

Well done team (or should that be Marcel ;)) :clap:

Marcel, he had already seen last nights Lost, so he stayed up,lol :D

LOL The site logo shouldn't be pulling it from forums.talkphotography.co.uk it should be pulling it directly from http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/images/sitelogo.gif

It's where our sitelogo is ALWAYS going to reside, so all stuff, like gallery, forums, website etc etc should refer to that address ;)

I'll have a double check in the Control Panel.

Double checked, and it's supposed to be pulling it from www.talk, not forums.talk

You tried it ina grownup browser Matty? :p

Edit : Just realised, you have that test theme selected don't you? :p That's still pointing to the old forums...I'll change it now, before I have to nip out :)

ah cheers...

proper browser eh? this is the one that when i was coding something and got it validated, its checked out and worked perfectly in IE but not the 3rd party browser....

Third party browser? since when was IE a first party browser? surely all the browsers are "Third party" excluding the first one (definately not IE).

anyway

FIREFOX RULES!!!!!!!

Home button's still pointing at the wrong addy :nono:

leoedin said:
Third party browser? since when was IE a first party browser? surely all the browsers are "Third party" excluding the first one (definately not IE).

anyway

FIREFOX RULES!!!!!!!

i use both, IE over firefox as it jut works!

dod said:
Home button's still pointing at the wrong addy :nono:

:p

It's actually correct. The plan is that talkphotography.co.uk is our Home Site (for future expansion you see), and forums.talkphotography is our Forums address.

;) Well spotted though :clap:

I got here in the end... :( - I could see the site last night but couldn't remember my password - so thought I'd reset it - from the first screen the reset password takes you to the we have moved screen and then back here, in the end I found another reset password

Phew... thought you'd all run away and left me :crying:

Allan

Keltic Ice Man said:
I got here in the end... :( - I could see the site last night but couldn't remember my password - so thought I'd reset it - from the first screen the reset password takes you to the we have moved screen and then back here, in the end I found another reset password

Phew... thought you'd all run away and left me :crying:

Allan

ive had a couple of those, until the dns gets round i'm sure we will have a couple more!

best to use the contact us button i think!

Unless its the NTL DNS system being slow the link given in the reset password email is wrong. I managed to get it working by copying the /login.php stuff from the email & posting it onto the forum address (if that makes sense :))

Back