Beginner Importing

Edit My Images
No
Hi just a quick one for you is it normal usb3 importing using lr4 to take 20 odd mins for 220 photos or is there a quicker way ta Val

It depends on a few things, you need to make.sure you get the fastest possible SD card to match that USB3 connection and also, make sure you are using a USB3 port, your computer more than likely has some USB2 ports also.

20 minutes sounds very slow to me!

As above, also are you importing from camera or using a card reader?

......................and is it a USB3 card reader?

Hi just a quick one for you is it normal usb3 importing using lr4 to take 20 odd mins for 220 photos or is there a quicker way ta Val

You can click on "more details" on the file transfer window and this should give you the actual transfer speed. I have also recently bought a USB3 SD card reader and the file transfer speed is only 1-2Mb/s, way below USB3 actual specs of up to 640Mb/s. I've contacted the card reader seller and got my refund. You may want to do the same.

So with a USB3 card reader in a USB3 port, you have only a few bottlenecks to be aware of.
The speed of the card - which despite what the young guys think, isn't usually a big problem
Space available on the disks you're writing to, there used to be additional problems with disk fragmentation, but nowadays that's almost always taken care of
So that leaves us with what is LR4 doing on import? One way to see what difference that makes is to do this.
Just using Windows explorer copy the images to the PC, then open LR and import them to your library from there (without moving the files), that should show whether there's an issue with LR or the PC, if it's the PC, there may be other programs taking up your processor time.

So with a USB3 card reader in a USB3 port, you have only a few bottlenecks to be aware of.
The speed of the card - which despite what the young guys think, isn't usually a big problem
Space available on the disks you're writing to, there used to be additional problems with disk fragmentation, but nowadays that's almost always taken care of
So that leaves us with what is LR4 doing on import? One way to see what difference that makes is to do this.
Just using Windows explorer copy the images to the PC, then open LR and import them to your library from there (without moving the files), that should show whether there's an issue with LR or the PC, if it's the PC, there may be other programs taking up your processor time.
Nice idea should of thought of that myself ta

Back