Imports could be more expensive or scarcer into the UK from 2021

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know whether this subject has been talked about here with regard to imports post 2021, apologies if it has been covered before. These changes apply to goods of £135 or less, but as we all know, Tax is not an easily accessible or clear subject. :banghead: :rolleyes:

Anyway, an article just popped up on Yahoo earlier about William Shatner, (yes, that William Shatner, Captain Kirk! :oops: :$ :LOL:) who has posted messages saying that he will not be selling merchandise to his fans in the UK from the end of the year because of the coming changes to international trading costs. Importer's from outside the UK will be forced to impose and collect VAT before sending goods to the UK. Because of the increased costs, he claims $1k just for the cost to file the forms, and doesn't include the additional cost for the added work needed to determine, collect, fill out forms and pay the VAT, he is ceasing trading in the UK.

Now this is not a thread to have a go at William Shatner (easy target), but to inform people who may buy stuff from outside the UK that changes are coming from next year.

This, which I had not heard about before, and the impending 'no deal' Brexit, means imports could be about to become a lot more expensive. And if (small) companies like Shatner decide that the costs are not sustainable, less people could be doing business with UK buyers, or at least passing on the VAT and additional admin costs, to UK buyers.

The UK Government Policy can be seen here for those that have a mind for such things. ;)

Something tells me you'll not see much difference buying online from the likes of ebay at least

Something tells me you'll not see much difference buying online from the likes of ebay at least
As I understand it on marketplaces such as eBay, they will be responsible not the seller. In which case you WILL see an increase on eBay, but only MAY see an increase buying direct, because nobody will be bothered to register for that jazz in the far east. Just like when we in the UK sell to Australia, we are supposed to charge GST and pass it on to the Oz government. (again, eBay charge it on your behalf).

Having read the Government document, I think the opposite applies. It reads like a law that is designed target Ebay, Amazon and the like. If the seller doesn't charge VAT then the cost of VAT falls on the OMP, the Online Market Place. The law will also apply to the likes of Panamoz, HDEW etc but I think they will be pretty low on the radar of HRMC.

Regards...

Still not sure it won't be 'ebay' acts as the seller effectively.

Back