Improving Music Photography In Dark Venues

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I
Code:
have recently found myself shooting more live music events, specifically very dark warehouse parties, and could use some tips how to improve the results.

At my first shoot I used my Canon EOS 550D with 50mm f1.4 USM - I left everything on auto and used no flash as I only had the camera's in-built flash at that point. The ambient lighting was just enough, and the promoter specifically wanted 'gritty' monochrome images, so the cranked-up ISO wasn't a deal-breaker and when I tweaked the luma curve in Lightroom to stretch out the contrast I had some very pleasing shots.

By my second party, at the same venue, I had bought a 430EX-II flash and a radio remote and wanted to get more ambitious and make more creative use of the manual settings on my 550D. For much of the evening I used f1.4 to f2.8 at 1/100, and ISO100/200/400. My flash was often set to 1/32 or 1/16 power. This worked great in the DJ booth, as I just sat it next to the decks aimed up towards the DJ's face with a diffuser and half-CTO. After a few test shots this setup got plenty of good images, see the selection below to get an idea of the situation I was in -

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Derelicht-D03-Music-Event-Promotion/10722453

Now the problem area - drunk people stumbling over to me wanting shots with their friends. It's too loud to explain that I'm there to do more editorial stuff and stage promotional shots, as I have got earplugs in it's down to hand gestures! I'm working in near complete darkness except for strobes, roboscans etc. I have a wide-open 50mm lens so I have to weave backward through the crowd to get 3-4 metres away from the subjects. For a few shots I used an ETTL cord, but this wouldn't fire whilst the auto-focus was shuffling around trying to focus in the dark so I had to go manual, in low-light, then pull the flash from under my arm and hope for the best. The results were mixed and without an assistant the cord was a hassle so for the rest of the night I left the radio trigger attached and just held the flash aloft. Sometimes the subjects were underlit, other times they looked like they were illuminated by an atomic bomb.

I arrived home with over 1,000 images, immediately tossing 700 of them. The DJ shots are fantastic, the staged flash shots are great, but the improvised clubber shots aren't so good - the 50mm at f1.4 is so focus-critical that many of the faces are just a little soft. Processed in high-contrast monochrome with a little sharpening they're more than up to the job but I'd really like to nail this as it's a situation likely to crop up again, so -

Has anyone got any tips for getting bang-on focus when working in near darkness, and get the flash to the correct power too - and all within a few seconds?

N.B. I've got the cheap 18-55 EFM that came with the camera, but the aperture was just too slow for the situation and I really don't rate the quality of it versus my 50mm USM prime.

All input very welcome indeed, thanks!

Tom

Holding the dof button causes the flash to pulse rapidly like a model light. Never tried but perhaps you can focus at that time half button then release and take the image. Failing that the yn622c's have optical beams on them and would also solve your cable issue.

Hth. :)

Back