Improving user experience of photography for amateur photographers

If most people, amateurs and pro's read the manual or watched online tutorials for their make/model the whole experience would be a lot easier and more enjoyable, too many people expect the camera to do everything for them these days, the obsession with eye AF is an example. Learn how to use your tools.
Mainly agree, but I think the essentials should be obvious and not need a manual, rather like a car

I can understand people frustration and not keeping cameras, that happened to me, bought a new 1300D as I was visiting Devon, bad weather forecast, and walking in camera hostile places and didn't want to use my other cameras. Spent more time trying to set it than taking photos (I was a Canon user at the time). It has been sitting in a cupboard with just a few hundred shots since :)
The biggest problem was a terrible (to me) menu system, and I think the menu system can make or break a cameras success for different people.

As far as making it easy to use, that is where the Panasonics win for me, the menu system and customisation, so may be that could be my answer to the OP

My 13 year old son took over my G80 for school, wanted to take some bracketed shots, while the others were fighting with the school Nikon's menus, he turned the dial to C1 (he hadn't reset it since I used it, and all mine are set to do a 5X1 bracket on C1) and had taken his shots before any one else had even started looking at the menu.

Using it on M is also very quick and easy, as easy as if not easier than any film camera.

So now the needs for simple use grow, separate controls for shutter speed and aperture :)

Perhaps the answers can be found in the many "Which camera should I buy" threads!

Mainly agree, but I think the essentials should be obvious and not need a manual, rather like a car
I like this too.
But 30 years ago I could pick up any camera and they more or less had the same controls (as did the cars)

Nowadays before I pick up my new car or camera, I download the manual and watch some YouTube videos.

This was absolutely essential to understand how to set up BBF with a choice of static subject or eye focus, and setting the timed delay to charge the car on the overnight tariff.

Both of those things would have fried the brain of 20 yr old me.

Does the amateur photographer want to change these settings/ do they even know what they do?
Any ‘photographer’ knows what they do. It’s lesson 1.

The vast majority of photographs are taken by amateurs, which means the vast majority of amazing images are shot by amateurs.

As was said previously; you’re conflating ‘amateur’ with ‘incompetent’, and they’re not the same thing.

Every week you can see ‘amateur’ cooks on tv create amazing meals, amateur bakers create superb cakes, woodworkers, painters, singers etc etc.

When I learnt, I had a shutter speed dial on the camera, an aperature dial with depth of field on the lens and I set the ISO when I bought the film.

And I still prefer this set up than any other, which is why I feel so "at home" with Fuji. Any aspect of the triangle can be made manually or on auto, but these days I am generally shooting with a fixed ISO, setting the aperture manually, and having the shutter on auto.

Back