B&W In Camera Creative Filter - Grainy B&W

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have never used any in-camera creative filters before (Canon 70D) but gave one a go during a recent workshop, with the result below.
This was the Grainy B&W filter, I quite like the effect and am pleased with the outcome as it seems to suit the pose and thought I would share it for comments.

Now & again I rebel & don't take/PP straight forward shots - going in phases of normal through to weird PP. I went through a phase of 'grainy' but in PP which is easy to do & still have the 'normal' shot if I fancy trying any other variation.

So I'm all for experimentation but am not a fan of using in camera filters preferring to use the PP.

Agreed, and it is a bit of a marmite fad and I also only normally do any 'changes' in post. Interestingly in-camera filters in this case are operations on the already existing photos, rather than a setting to take a pictures.

Oh right so I assume it keeps the original file & saves a new 'modified' one - like mine does now I've taken a closer look :)

Sorry, it's not for me. The intentional grain looks unintentional, and doesn't suit the image. Normally, these in camera filters tend to be heavy handed and a 'one size fits all' strength, which is why you should do these things in post. You might find that it may actually work better if it wasn't so harsh.

I have never used any in-camera creative filters before

Don't you have to shoot in JPEG to use in camera effects? You do with Nikon anyway. If that's the case, then there's no going back. Shoot in RAW and you have the option. For that reason alone I've never used in camera effects. I'd rather take control myself, in my ow time... properly.

Don't you have to shoot in JPEG to use in camera effects? You do with Nikon anyway.
You can have RAW and jpeg can't you, so surely only the jpeg is affected?

On my camera neither Raw or the original jpeg is affected as the creative effect is done in camera after shooting and creates another jpeg.

Last edited:
On my camera neither Raw or the original jpeg is affected as the creative effect is done in camera after shooting and creates another jpeg.

That makes more sense.

Back