In dispute with jessops

I have to say I would find it highly unlikely that your local store where you took the camera in would not have noted on the repair form if the lens had received significant damage prior to sending it off to Nikon for repair. If a customer brought a camera into me in warranty the First thing I would do is inspect the camera fully for any visible signs of damage, I think even the lowest sales assistant would have noticed a completely knackered lens. This points to either damage in branch or in transit, either way Jessops should manage the repair as a minimum.

You can put anything you like next to your signature - it makes no difference. The terms and conditions of service (for all the major UK couriers) is that a signature signifies the package is in good order. Your signature acknowledges you accept those T&Cs. Note I say the package - not the contents - you then have from 24hrs to 5 days (depending on the courier) to notify them of damaged goods (i.e. contents). Actually, that's not strictly correct; the sender has that time so you need to inform them sooner.

To the OP: If the damage to the lens is as significant as you say then it is inconceivable, in my experience, for the package to be undamaged. If Nikon say the package was fine when it arrived then the damage happened afterwards, whilst in their possession. My experience extends to 7 years of (freelance) loss and damage prevention for Royal Mail, Parcel Force and DHL.

You should limit yourself to talking with Jessops - don't get involved in discussions with Nikon or the courier - as sorting this out is their problem.

Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction :)

Some insurance providers state you either need to write unchecked or damaged next to your signature, or you will not be covered. So it is a good idea to get into the habit.

That works if you're signing a bit of paper. These days most couriers get you to sign on some sort of electronic tablet where there's no opportunity to add any additional text.

If there's room for a signature, there's room for an extra word!

You can put anything you like next to your signature - it makes no difference. The terms and conditions of service (for all the major UK couriers) is that a signature signifies the package is in good order. Your signature acknowledges you accept those T&Cs. Note I say the package - not the contents - you then have from 24hrs to 5 days (depending on the courier) to notify them of damaged goods (i.e. contents). Actually, that's not strictly correct; the sender has that time so you need to inform them sooner.

To the OP: If the damage to the lens is as significant as you say then it is inconceivable, in my experience, for the package to be undamaged. If Nikon say the package was fine when it arrived then the damage happened afterwards, whilst in their possession. My experience extends to 7 years of (freelance) loss and damage prevention for Royal Mail, Parcel Force and DHL.

You should limit yourself to talking with Jessops - don't get involved in discussions with Nikon or the courier - as sorting this out is their problem.

Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction :)

This has helped me previously, so i would definitely recommend adding 'uninspected' to your signature in future...

EDIT
But may not help you legally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just go back into Jessops, say middle of the afternoon on a busy Saturday and discuss with them loudly/sternly over the counter that you want a full refund. Don't leave until you get what you want. They're hardly going to call the police. They'll give you a refund there and then to get you out the store.
Then you go online and buy for cheaper forgetting Jessops ever existed.

I would just go back into Jessops, say middle of the afternoon on a busy Saturday and discuss with them loudly/sternly over the counter that you want a full refund. Don't leave until you get what you want. They're hardly going to call the police. .

Don't be so sure, I've seen exactly that happen in a shop (might actually have been a Currys though). The shopper ended up arrested and removed for a public order offence.

Sorry to hear about your problems glennbing89

Contact your local newspaper they love stories like this, and Jessops will hate bad publicity (y) Worked for us.

Good luck

Orange Crunch !

clicktor said:
I would just go back into Jessops, say middle of the afternoon on a busy Saturday and discuss with them loudly/sternly over the counter that you want a full refund. Don't leave until you get what you want. They're hardly going to call the police. They'll give you a refund there and then to get you out the store.
Then you go online and buy for cheaper forgetting Jessops ever existed.

Worst.Advice.Ever.

Hi Glenn,

I agree with Anubis. After all this back and forth, you *must* put your complaint in writing. I had two disputes - KLM and Vodafone - in which I spent hours on the phone with customer service to no avail. In both instances my dispute was resolved quickly and to my satisfaction once I'd submitted a complaint in writing.

So you must do this, and there's no harm in saying that you intend to contact the OFT regarding your consumer rights.

Over and above this I would also try another tack. I'd contact them via Twitter/Facebook, since your grievances would be in the public domain.

Yet another tack would be for you to show that you're a little flexible, i.e. accept cash/store credit for the equivalent value of the used body. A bit of goodwill might help your cause.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS - I wouldn't bother kicking up a stink in the store, it's a dead end at this point.

Last edited:
After my "punch up" with Jessops my first bit of advise is get everything in writing.Next is get the names of the Jessops people you have been talking to. I found that Jessops work very slowly in matters of dispute ,it took weeks for Jessops to refund me for something I cancelled before they sent out the order.

Definately not the best company to deal with in my experience.

You could ring their head office and ask for the chairmans office on 0116 232 6000 (switchboard), you may get a little higher than their customer service number

Realspeed

Or just email the CEO?

Jessops email addresses are in the format InitialSurname@jessops.com

Current CEO is Trevor Moore, from the 1st of August it's Martyn Everett.

Email both for best result.

Nope SoGA only covers the 1st 28days if memory serves me well, after that its at retailers discretion to repair or replace a faulty item. This is complicated by damage in transit, but even then demanding a replacement for what is still a 5mth old camera may prove difficult.

Wong

Your memory doesn't serve you well

A cursory search of Google for the SOGA will give you the correct information

Wong

Your memory doesn't serve you well

A cursory search of Google for the SOGA will give you the correct information

I think you mean Wrong

and I did state the last time I worked in retail was 20yrs ago, I was just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for your equally helpful post

I think you mean Wrong

and I did state the last time I worked in retail was 20yrs ago, I was just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for your equally helpful post

Thanks for correcting the typo

What you actually did was give the impression that what you were saying was fact and the law - which is what retailers today, some 20 years on, try to do in there efforts to mislead customers and get out of there statutory obligations under the SOGA

I was indeed being helpfull by letting you, and others, know you were wrong

Last edited:
Just spoke to Jessops, the best they can do is repair the camera. Im not entirely happy with that. Id like a new one. So do i take it further and take it up with the Jessops big wigs or am i being a bit over the top by not accepting the refurb?

but you would have most likely ended up with a repaired camera anyway wouldn't you?

its unfortunate what has happened but at the end of the day if you get a fully working camera then jobs a good un IMO.

What you actually did was give the impression that what you were saying was fact and the law - which is what retailers today, some 20 years on, try to do in there efforts to mislead customers and get out of there statutory obligations under the SOGA

Keith, The Sale of Goods Act 1979 is still the same Sale of Goods Act 1979, with minor amendments since then. In essence it's the same act as when I studied Economics and worked in retail.

A customers statutory rights are time bounded seperately from any implicit manufacturers guarantee period.

In the case of items that are deemed faulty either because they are 'not of merchantable quality', 'as described' or 'fit for purpose' then the retailer is obliged to refund or replace the item if it is returned in a 'reasonable time', I would suggest 5 months after purchase is not a reasonable time, especially as it has obviously worked in that time period (although SOGA states that if the item is faulty at purchase - "Under six months - the customer does not have to prove the item was faulty when they bought it from you. If you disagree it is up to you, the retailer, to prove the item did conform to contract (or that the fault did not exist) at the time of sale." ) .

Outside of that time period the retailer is not obliged to refund or replace but can offer to repair (which is exactly what Jessops initially offered to do).

The fact that in transit\in Jessops receipt, the item received further damage does not implicitly oblige Jessops to replace the item with a brand new camera. They can still offer to repair it and meet their obligations, no matter how poor an impression this gives the customer or the wider photographic community at large.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained

So whilst my knowledge is a little 'dusty' it appear to still be CORRECT not wrong

Would be more helpful if you said what was correct :thinking:

EDIT

re-read this post, and it seems was being an a**e - not intended!

I find it hard to believe that a front lens element would smash during transit, without causing very noticeable damage to the packaging. What seems more likely is that somebody at Jessops or Nikon accidentally dropped the lens whilst packing or unpacking it, and decided not to own up. The standard kit lens is very light, and would take massive force to smash it, if it were properly protected within it's packaging.

**Mod edit**
Try a more polite response, next time.
It doesn't tend to put so many peoples backs up,
that they feel they have to report your post.
Thank you

clicktor said:

I can assure you if you go into a shop and adopt the tactics that you suggested all the the manager will do is call the Police.

I can assure you if you go into a shop and adopt the tactics that you suggested all the the manager will do is call the Police.

As I said earlier, I actually witnessed someone being handcuffed and removed from a shop for exactly the behaviour clicktor thinks is a clever thing to do.

All you gain is a spell in a cell and an £80 fine for a public order offence.

Don't go into any store all guns blazing, why would a shop assistant be willing to help you as best as they can, or even go out of their way to help someone who is being a complete tool and making their work more difficult than it has to be.

That approach helps no one and throwing your weight around only makes you look like an idiot.

In comparison when I used to work in a motorcycle retail store if I got someone come in and be difficult and uncivilised I would do the bare minimum to help them, my only interest was to get rid of them, more often than not their demands on how to resolve the situation were ludicrous and they would end up leaving feeling let down.

However I remember one nice gentleman who came in with a problem with an exhaust he brought. It was missing the link pipe in the box. He was calm, polite and spoke to me like I wasn't an idiot. His problem was time sensitive as he wanted the pipe for the weekend as he was going on holiday around Europe with friends on their bikes and it was only a couple of days away. To make things worse, he was working away from the area until Friday evening where he would then need to pack and sleep for early departure on Saturday.

So, what did I do? Called the supplier immediately and had them dispatch the pipe the same day to the store. It didn't arrive until the Friday afternoon ( a day later than expected ). As I knew the guy was out of town till late that evening and wouldn't make it to the store I called him and agreed with him that I would deliver the pipe myself to his house later that evening ( free of charge of course ) which was nearly 20 miles away. I even fitted the exhaust for him so he could pack his bags for the morning. He ended up paying for my petrol and a few ££ extra so I could go to the chippy on the way home, it wasn't expected but I certainly appreciated it.

I don't mind going the extra mile for people as long as they treat me with respect and are calm and rational. I'm sure anyone who works in retail will say the same.

Now that is good service - I have to agree too, while I don't work in a shop I do work in a service type roll and if someone comes across poorly or goes over my head not only do they go to the bottom of the list but they also get the bare minimum and can struggle and raise each and every issue by the book, whereas if someone is polite they can dodge all sorts of red tape.

So whilst my knowledge is a little 'dusty' it appear to still be CORRECT not wrong

1. Please go and read what you actually wrote

2. What you said, in the context you said it in, is wrong and not correct

3. I do not need you to show me or tell me about the SOGA thank you very much.

Having worked for a spell for Kent trading standards I am well versed with the SOGA

Anyway end of discussion for me

Last edited:
will you two please get a room

I'm not suggesting to go into a Jessops and start a fight for the love of god. Just man up and talk to them like an Adult pointing out what you want done and be assertive.

I'm not suggesting to go into a Jessops and start a fight for the love of god. Just man up and talk to them like an Adult pointing out what you want done and be assertive.

Whilst you say it isn't what you meant, it is what you wrote. You suggested creating a disturbance /nuisance by being loud and abrupt and refusing to leave the store in the hope of gaining resolution.

Yes I would make a fuss and deliberately make it noticed if I felt it necessary to get my way. Thats not against the law. You see customers do it all the time. Anyway, Ive been contacted by a mod for the above comments so it seems my opinion is not welcome here. I'll be quiet. No offense was intended.

if you refuse to leave any private premises when told , you are trespassing and they can legitimately ask the police to remove you - argue with the police as well and you will wind up with a public order offence.

Anyway - it's academic because some happles shop assistant (or even store manager) doesnt have the authority to decide to give you a new camera - as has been said you need to approach at least an area manager but prefferably the ceo

Last edited:
Yes I would make a fuss and deliberately make it noticed if I felt it necessary to get my way. Thats not against the law.

Actually yes, it is.
Sec 5. POA
"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

When I was younger and foolish I used to try the "lets get grumpy and loud" method of attack. to be fair it worked wonders in MFI after receiving the 7th consignment of incorrect doors, and wearing very muddy golf clothes on a white leather sofa close to the "build your kitchen here" terminals....

However age and experience has taught me now every time email the CEO (Ok s/he won't read it, but one of their office staff with and invariably will be settled much quicker and easier for all concerned - if you keep it short, factual, accurate, polite and let them know what you are expecting as a satisfactory outcome.)

Just google "CEO Email addresses" - alternatively someone has shown you above - the format Jessops use.

However age and experience has taught me now every time email the CEO (Ok s/he won't read it, but one of their office staff with and invariably will be settled much quicker and easier for all concerned - if you keep it short, factual, accurate, polite and let them know what you are expecting as a satisfactory outcome.)

:plus1:

And I find this link invaluable for the purpose (although some of them may be a little out of date now)

:plus1:

And I find this link invaluable for the purpose (although some of them may be a little out of date now)

Jessops is current on your list. But will change on the 1st August.

New name to add before the @jessops.com will be MEverett.

Would be more helpful if you said what was correct :thinking:

EDIT

re-read this post, and it seems was being an a**e - not intended!

Having worked for a spell for Kent trading standards I am well versed with the SOGA

Anyway end of discussion for me

Yet it seems you struggle to pass on all this wisdom to the original poster and can only tell people they are wrong without backing up your point??

End of discussion from me to.

Back