In house camera with notification.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
We have a house alarm and cctv outdoors but I fancy something indoors too.

Once you walk in out front door you're in a straight passage leading to the kitchen and back door so a device each side of that internal door will cover both doors.

I think I remember seeing ads for a device which detects motion, sends a picture and sends it to your phone but I don't remember anything about it. It could be something that stands on a surface or it could be wall mounted, I don't mind.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about :D maybe they could recommend something?

I think I want something separate from the existing cctv as we get endless notifications for that as flying insects set it off.

Hive, Nest and Apple do these things from what I've seen. I don't have them though so can't recommend specifically

Wait a few days. There's an Amazon discount event coming and these products are highly likely to be heavily discounted.

Ring also do indoor camera, but if you want the notifications to be saved you need to pay a subscription. So when looking for one check ones that don’t require a subscription.

Thanks all.

I'm going to be a bit busy this week but I do want some indoor detection (apart from the house alarm) with notifications and I will take a look at the options noted here.

Thanks again.

I have several to-link Tapo cameras, indoor and outdoor, They stream to apps on you phone and record to a micro sd card if you wish. They work without a subscription though there is one available if you wish. The basic 100 series is a fixed view, the 200 series can be remotely controlled and be set to follow movement — I use it to keep an eye on the dog when I’m out. They all do notifications of varios kinds but all can have notifications turned off. The 100 series works OK for outdoors through a window if set to daylight only and the lighting at night is good, eg street lights etc.

Reactions: RIR
Another plus for the Tapo cameras, I have one indoor and one external. I also have three Swann indoor cameras, they send notifications without a subscription, and record to (Micro) SD cards.

Try searching use "old mobile phone as a sercurity camera" seem to remember there being apps that will stream to your phone and record if required.

Try searching use "old mobile phone as a sercurity camera" seem to remember there being apps that will stream to your phone and record if required.
There are.i remember trying them but didn’t find them as satisfactory as an actual camera. In fact I use an old iPhone to airplay my Tapo cams from the app to an o,d TV vis an old Apple TV. A bit tortuous but it works and the dog loves watching it for callers or deliveries and she sends me “notifications” :LOL:

Thanks guys.

I don't know if a phone is going to be a viable option but just for interest I'll google it.

What I'm really looking for is just a belt and braces thing and notifications that'll stand out from the avalanche of ones we get now.

We have a house alarm and external cameras but we receive a lot of notifications especially at night as two cameras have lights on them and they're set off by insects attracted by the light. The one that doesn't have a light is set off by people and cars passing. The result of all this is that if we were to take notice of notifications our lives would consist of taking notice of notifications and nothing else.

I had a chat with our existing alarm and cctv company about this and he said they have a new box which largely cuts this out so going for one is a possibility.

The idea of internal sensors/cameras with notification is that if we're out we shouldn't receive any notifications from them unless there is genuine movement in the house. They'd need to be separate from the existing system otherwise any notification will be just swamped amongst the ones that don't matter.

Thanks guys.

I don't know if a phone is going to be a viable option but just for interest I'll google it.

What I'm really looking for is just a belt and braces thing and notifications that'll stand out from the avalanche of ones we get now.

We have a house alarm and external cameras but we receive a lot of notifications especially at night as two cameras have lights on them and they're set off by insects attracted by the light. The one that doesn't have a light is set off by people and cars passing. The result of all this is that if we were to take notice of notifications our lives would consist of taking notice of notifications and nothing else.

I had a chat with our existing alarm and cctv company about this and he said they have a new box which largely cuts this out so going for one is a possibility.

The idea of internal sensors/cameras with notification is that if we're out we shouldn't receive any notifications from them unless there is genuine movement in the house. They'd need to be separate from the existing system otherwise any notification will be just swamped amongst the ones that don't matter.

This is probably unhelpful. The outside Tapo that I have you can turn off some or all of the alarms (depending on type) and also the alarm (which sounds outside) and can set various (up to 4 of each kind( sorts of sensing motion areas or line crossing or people detection and of course turn all on or off at various times of day/night and have it only notify when you (your phone really) are out of the house. Or you can have it just record constantly or only when activity is detected. I think that covers it. I have a lot of trees and bushes and at times busy road plus insects, bats, cats badger and foxes and pigeons etc that set it off so the line crosing and so on isn’t very selective. I also have spiders that think it’s a good idea to lay a web infant of the IR light and make rude signs at me through the camera :LOL: .

I recommended Reolink above and thought I add a bit more to do with alerts seeing as this seems important to you.

Firstly there is no need for a subscription with Reolink. You can record directly to a micro SD card in the camera or you can purchase a separate NRV Box with a hard drive. A subscription is an option if you would like recording to the cloud.

With regards to alerts; This depends on the camera that you have but the ones I have can alert you to people, cars, pets or all movements. You set what you want to be alerted to and you can setup times to receive alerts. eg. you can set it to give no alerts during the day but from 10pm to 6am it will alert you the the movement of a person only. You can also setup movement sensitivity and block out certain areas from movement for example where you have a tree that moves in the wind.

The actuall alerts which are push notifications to your phone can be set as a standard alert or a critical alert. A critical alert on my iphone is marked as critical and always remains at the top of the notifications list until I dismiss it, so in my case I have doorbell to send me a critical alert while the other cameras only send a normal alert but only at certain times of the day and for certain types of movement (People). This ensures that I pick up the important alerts but am not bombarded with useless alerts.

BTW on the subject of using iPhones etc as cameras or any other part of the system, it means keeping the phone etc on power which possibly has a bad effect on battery life -- there doesn’t seem to be any clear answer to this as far as I can see but the iPhone etc runs off the battery regardless of whether the power cable is condcted and so is at 100% all the time which is said to be a bad thing.

Good stuff and thanks all.

As above I'm looking for something to give us a notification and hopefully a picture or a video separately from the existing kit which just swamps us with notifications but maybe I should have mentioned that I'll only want notifications when we're out... so hopefully I can turn it off when we're home and on when we go out. Any notification should only therefore be if there's a genuine intruder, not a moth, steam from the boiler or a car driving past :D

I'm hoping for something I can put in the hall looking at the front door with another looking at the back door. Maybe I could go for three and put another in the dining or living room covering those areas too.

There's plenty of time for me to read up on suggestions.

Back