In need of a CLA??......

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been sometime since I last used my AF Nikkor 80-200mm F/2.8 ED (push/pull) lens ......Unfortuanatly it seems to have developed a "grinding" noise when focusing.:(

Just to clarify, it is this 1988 - 1992 version:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

Tbh it never was silent in focusing however this "increase" in noise is a little disturbing.

I'm wondering, does the lens require a CLA ( which i guess could prove quite expensive) or is it nothing to be concerned about ( perhaps it is "the norm" :shrug:?............ your thoughts please.

Any grinding noise is worrying. Get it serviced, and yes it could be expensive. Quality lenses mean big repair bills in my experience.
Worth it though, great bit of glass.

Any grinding noise is worrying. Get it serviced, and yes it could be expensive. Quality lenses mean big repair bills in my experience.
Worth it though, great bit of glass.

Do you think it's simply an age related thing Trevor ...grease "drying" up type of issue?? .... it's always been stored in its case and never abused, yes used, but not purposely exposed to sand or similar bodies that could cause a problem like this.

Asha, I've never seen one stripped but I would have to get it seen to if it were mine. Could be the AF motor needs attention. Get an estimate from an approved Nikon repair shop.
Sorry I can't be more cheerful.

Asha, I've never seen one stripped but I would have to get it seen to if it were mine. Could be the AF motor needs attention. Get an estimate from an approved Nikon repair shop.
Sorry I can't be more cheerful.

You don't need to be sorry Trevor, things age and wear ( looks in mirror at oneself :eek::D) .

The lens still works atm and as you say optically it is a fab piece of glass.

Servicing willl have to go on hold for the moment....gives me time to find someone who can/will do it along with time to save up I guess.

I kinda wish to pick it up tomorrow morning and find the noise has dissapeared forever but I know that isn't going to be the case....such is life :(

Back