In need of inspiration

Edit My Images
No
Hiya

I've been searching the internet for aaages and all it's done is give me a headache.

I'm looking for really great motorsport related images. I don't just mean action shots, I'm looking for the close detail shots, the statics, the ones of people, that show the atmosphere etc.

I'm looking for those shots that make you go "WOW" :love:

Anyone got any/can put up a link to some?

Just a few I've seen that stood out:
LENnight1.jpg

burnout-1.jpg

AMerionport0015.jpg

AMerion1.jpg

I'm usually at drifting events throughout the year and although I've really enjoyed it I really feel like I need to see something fresh. I feel a bit blinkered by my own work and really want to see what else is out there! Unfortunately on my searches I found a lot of "business" style photogrpahy sites and not many "arty"....by "business" I mean rally photography sites, where every shot has been taken with the intention to sell on to the driver and therefore they've got a bunch of galleries full of nice photography, which have certainly captured great moments - but not what I'm looking for.

Previous work of my own:

l_ccd36e41c241fdceb0e856cc591211f6.jpg

QY1S0683-1.jpg

rig1-1.jpg

QY1S0837-1.jpg

QY1S0743-1.jpg

IMG_6871-1.jpg

IMG_6907-1.jpg

QY1S8631-1.jpg

l_42490161f563cd45ae436175c21a1fa2.jpg

ps sorry for the random sizes!

Could you clarify what you are asking for? Motorsport shots that make you go "Wow"? Surely any good motorsport shot should do that. Check out the "Fave motorsport shot taken this year thread" for some of those. :)

By "wow" I mean anything that really caught your eye. There are a load of technically good motorsport images, yes... but I'm searching for really arty stuff, the ones that you don't always expect to see.

I posted this on another forum and someone pointed out a link that was so good I thought I'd share it.

www.darrenheath.com - even love the picture of cones on his homepage. Never would have occurred to me to take a photo of cones, but he did it well!!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

What I like about these is that they aren't the obvious shots of the day. He hasn't just done a quick pan of a car and left it at that, he's taken a different approach.

[www.driftfotos.com] Some average photos on here, but then some really stunning ones too. This one really caught my eye:and a little on the large side....sorry...
http://www.worlddriftseries.com/driftfotos/nopila/30.jpg

They're basically along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Surely there are some motorsport photographers that ppl look up to? My personal favourite is Dino Dalle Carbonare but I'm trying to look further afield, I want to broaden my view.

I'm not sure i really look up to anyone. Mainly because motorsport photographers arent really that famous.

Some of the ones on latphoto.com are pretty good. Lots of atmosphere photos and very slow shutter speed shots. I never really take many atmosphere shots myself (unlike most people) because I'm really there because i love watching the cars, not the drivers.
Also your only chance of getting enough money to pay for your petrol is to get a shot of someone crashing, so i tend to spend all the time on the track.

I guess these would be examples of some of my more arty shots (champ car Assen).
But like i say, i prefer to capture the action than do the arty stuff. Although if i get a replacement camera, my new years resolution is to go more arty. Hey i might even go on a photography course!

main.php

main.php

main.php

A lot of the motorsport events I go to tends to be the grass-roots level of club motorsport of which there generally isn't a crowd worth speaking of to take pictures off. You'll get a cluster of 'togs (what is the collective noun?) hiding inside druids but the crowd will be pretty sparse.

Now superbikes, touring cars and things like that, there is a decent crowd and you could be creative with crowd shots.

I do like Reinhard Kleins Rally photography.

Now superbikes, touring cars and things like that, there is a decent crowd and you could be creative with crowd shots.

if its crowd shots you want. i have plenty of drunken dutchies! 'photo! photo!'

all good humoured nutters, but in the end i took my photo vest off and hid it as it was taking me ages to explain i couldnt stand back far enough with a 400mm lens to get them all in ( i had to take that first shot in two sections!) :)

gp5266.jpg

gp5267.jpg

gp5268.jpg

Back