in need of some advice on lenses with d600

Name
Dave Peacock
Edit My Images
Yes
im looking to upgrade to the d600 from my d300 for various reasons including low light performance, video etc etc.
I have the nikon 24-70 as my main lens and currently use a 50mm 1.8 with raynox 250 for macro shots.

I love macro, i love bugs and i love zoomed in pictures of them. So, im in need of a dedicated macro lens (the 50mm has been great)

Ive read so much about all different lenses and tbh its starting to get confusing. If i want to get right in on a bugs head do i go for a longer focal range? But, if i did that and focus distance increases then what?

Is the 105 range the best al;l round macro lens ( i can still use the raynox 250) or should i go for something more like the sigma 180mm?

Any help/advice welcome as id love to push my macro work further :)

Bugs can be rather nervous so the longer working distance that a 180mm allows could be handy. The 100mm area is pretty useful though, with the Nikkor 105mm being the pick of the bunch. The Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm (all 3 are f/2.8) are also highly regarded but I'm not sure how much cheaper the aftermarket lenses are (in VR/OS/VC guise).

thats the bit that gerts confusing. Choosing the correct focal length.
Using the 50mm with the raynox means im about 2" away from the subject.

Am i correct in that the magnification itself wont increase (comparing lenses) at all just the working distance?

Nikon 105mm lens will produce 1x1 image against sensor when the subject is 154mm away ( measured from sensor ). So the actual image will be bigger compare to the same image take on the dx sensor ?

When I had a D700, I favoured the Sigma 150mm....great focal length (IMO) for full-frame and the images produced were razor-sharp.

+1 on the Sigma! (y)

When I chose mine, I went specifically for the old non-OS version. Less weight and some reports on a better IQ...

In my limited experience with macro VR/IS/OS is not needed. For those lenses that give 1:1 then I'm pretty sure that at their min working distance (where they produce a 1:1 image) they will all give the same image at the sensor so focal length doesn't matter in that respect. What will change is the min working distance which will be longer as the focal length increases. My experience using macro lenses up close and personal is limited though so do take with a grain of salt ...

If you have something long like the 150 etc how do things like the extension tubes and raynox250 work?

Does your working distance get shorter or is it just a magnification increase?
I feel an idiot asking such simple questions but I've never used anything other than the 50mm and none of my friends have anything longer I can try.

I was told the 200mm nikon was the daddy but it's a bit steep for something that's a hobby.

Paul, that's as I understand it as well.
So in order to increase magnification I would need tubes, extenders or reversing rings etc.

I fear that something like a 180mm with magnification would become very hard to use (keeping subject in frame)

Paul, that's as I understand it as well.
So in order to increase magnification I would need tubes, extenders or reversing rings etc.

I fear that something like a 180mm with magnification would become very hard to use (keeping subject in frame)
That is when rails become useful or at least a decent tripod. The advantage of the longer length lenses is that you don't need to get as physically close to the subject and that allows more light on the subject too, also if it is skittish you are less likely to spook it.

i have a great manfrotto that i use but it would be impossible to use at the butterfly centre i visit due to its size and how busy it gets. I may start with the 105vr and see how i get on. The raynox should still work with that lens as well. :)

Bugs can be rather nervous so the longer working distance that a 180mm allows could be handy. The 100mm area is pretty useful though, with the Nikkor 105mm being the pick of the bunch. The Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm (all 3 are f/2.8) are also highly regarded but I'm not sure how much cheaper the aftermarket lenses are (in VR/OS/VC guise).

Don't forget Tokina 100mm macro F2.8 :) Beauty of the lens (y)

Back