In search of Excalibur2

@RaglanSurf , sorry Nick for taking the theead off topic but seeing as Brian @excalibur2 is back……
Easily done Asha as this is a friendly place and we know each other it's like being all together at a meet or wherever when we start talking about everything......although for me my hearing is bad I can't hear properly in a group :(...... hope you haven't picked up a French accent o_O

Thanks guys......My wife passed away last Sept, before then and after, lost interest in everything and I suppose have to wait till it all comes back (esp Photography), and gardening was first back and have plenty of tomatoes, leeks grapes etc which gave me an excuse to take shots :).
Now to look at the posts to see what I've missed esp "the where to get film developed as the prices for Filmdev have shot up....well I suppose there is nothing cheap anymore....erm well Tesco's Stockwell cola @ 17p for 2l :oops: :$ side tracking again :naughty:
Sorry to hear that mate.

So sorry to hear your sad news Brian, my condolences to you and your family.

Sorry to hear your sad news Brian. Please accept our condolences.

It only really works if you have 2 of 'em. :)
Just got the joke, I had four of them in quite quick succession. Drove the last one to Monte Carlo over the Route Napoleon. While filling up in Grenoble, the garage owner asked me where I was heading and when I told him (Cannes) he said it would be quicker to cycle. Quite true, at the highest part of the N85. I couldn't get into 4th gear. Best drive I have ever experienced, especially coming down into Grasse and seeing the Med beyond. I'd do it again but for the fact that we aren't allowed to fraternise with the French anymore, due to Brexit.

This has had a massive effect on my life because my friend who spends every summer in France can't bring me back my usual load of 6 x 1ltr bottles of Pastis 51!

Sorry if I have lowered the tone of the thread.

Sorry to hear about your wife Brian, and can fully understand your drop in interest in other things after that, but it's really good to see you back here. I'm not in here enough, but am going to start trying to post more (when I get 5 minutes out of the workshop!).

It would be great to have a blast from the past with an F&C meet-up sometime. I'm sure we've all got a lot of catching up to do, and I've missed your retina-burning flashguns ;)

Thanks Steve
Well being here should get me back to normal o_O, but did use the camera for a classic car/motorcycle show a month ago (anything interesting will post some shots) but run out of film and forgot to take a spare roll :mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Being back here there are some new faces, but some seemed to have disappeared and with my rotten memory with gaps can't remember their call signs and one (with his wife) was from Scotland who came to the meet in Yorkshire and the other was quite old that used to scan his negs from a scanner from the ark and IIRC lived in the south east near London, there are probably other missing ones that will eventually come to me, but can't find a way of see the complete members list to go through :rolleyes:

Being back here there are some new faces, but some seemed to have disappeared and with my rotten memory with gaps can't remember their call signs and one (with his wife) was from Scotland who came to the meet in Yorkshire and the other was quite old that used to scan his negs from a scanner from the ark and IIRC lived in the south east near London, there are probably other missing ones that will eventually come to me, but can't find a way of see the complete members list to go through :rolleyes:
@kendo1 is the first. Not sure who the latter is.

@kendo1 is the first. Not sure who the latter is.

Kendo1 would be lower left?

XYc81au.jpg

Brian if you’re at the denham car boot sale come and say hello. Me and Shireen are selling a load of old tat, we’re in our cream Volkswagen camper.

Brian if you’re at the denham car boot sale come and say hello. Me and Shireen are selling a load of old tat, we’re in our cream Volkswagen camper.
Oh I've only seen this message at 14.41 :( as I was at Gerrards X giant jumble sale, so popular it's open at 10:00 yet queues start at 8:00 o_O .....did you make a good profit?

Oh I've only seen this message at 14.41 :( as I was at Gerrards X giant jumble sale, so popular it's open at 10:00 yet queues start at 8:00 o_O .....did you make a good profit?
We did OK Brian, managed to fend off the early morning hoards and the angry fighting shoppers that both wanted the same things :D Is the Gerards Cross booty good?

Is the Gerards Cross booty good?
Well Nick is a big jumble sale held once a year as well as the building they have set up marquees in the field (went to classic car show there recently)...but it depends what you want as only realised it was on at the last half hour on Friday (open Friday and Saturday) and as I pulled up on my bike people were loading stacks of stuff into their cars, anyway got there early sat and all there was left for film photography (well if there was any it had gone on Friday)............ was an Epson scanner 4480 but it didn't have neg holders, but I didn't get it although I had spare neg holders........... See you and Shireen next year maybe (y)
Also if the weather is dry I go to the Queensmead booty at Ruislip (small compared to Denham) but for you and me call in Asda, Aldi, Sainsburys etc (also cheap petrol), so you can go to a booty and shopping afterwards.

Thanks Brian, I think we'll try and do one more at Denham before it closes.

@excalibur2

Brian, what's the furthest north you dare venture on your bike?
It's all a bit too foreign for me south of Warwick, but I'd venture a bit further into the badlands for a CB500 meet up and a coffee.

@excalibur2

It's all a bit too foreign for me south of Warwick, but I'd venture a bit further into the badlands for a CB500 meet up and a coffee.

There's Gilks cafe around Kineton, Warwickshire . They often have car/bike things going on as well. Maybe too far for both of you though!

Bourton on the water is a nice place to go. Decent toilets as well! Went there a few years ago. Not too bad from around here either all things considered.

The Slaughters are good, likewise Broadway tower. There's also Chesterton Mill near Warwick, just for photography. If you're both national trust members then there are lots of places in the area.

Bourton on the water is a nice place to go. Decent toilets as well! Went there a few years ago. Not too bad from around here either all things considered.
Watching the motorbike show and he said "in the Cotswold remember the three "Bs" to see i.e. Bourton, Burford and Bibury

@excalibur2

Well Simon went to a meet in Yorkshire on my Honda 250 rebel, but not much fun at 50mph with lorries thundering past and worse coming back in the dark with a crappy headlight :(.
I'll get my Honda cb500x next March and on a nice sunny day would be great for a meet at a easy distance of say 60-70 miles or more north west of greater London. (y)
I'd like to see Bourton, Burford and Bibury, if you know the area, also don't think I've been to Straftord upon Avon........for some interesting shots.

I could probably don the full body armour and make it as far as Oxford / the Cotswolds.
..or like me only use the motorbike on dry warm days, I have two motorcycle jackets with the protection in the usual places but too heavy and useless for walk about and like something more the non motorcycle look.....e.g. casual jacket like puffer ones and hiking boots.

..or like me only use the motorbike on dry warm days, I have two motorcycle jackets with the protection in the usual places but too heavy and useless for walk about and like something more the non motorcycle look.....e.g. casual jacket like puffer ones and hiking boots.

:) I'm ok with bad weather - it's protection from hostile southerners I need.

Let us know when you get your bike and we'll sort something out.

I'm ok with bad weather
Well I've had my fill of ice, snow, rain and once 6 miles in dense smog not wearing a crash helmet o_O and having black streaks running down my face :(........ Now I potter around on a nice sunny day on my 250cc about 20 miles radius from home and look for interesting shots of places/scenes.
AAMOI my son has just bought a Yamaha 2010 XT 660r, well the seat height is 875mm and I can't get on it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back