in the market for a new compact

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
to replace my ixus 60 which ive just found the LCD smashed on.

any recommendations, we like the size and features of the ixus range (oh and the badge as well) but are there any other killer cameras in the sub £180 range that are not worth overlooking?
im not really bothered by megapixies as i dont subscribe to the more is better sales pitch,

cheers!

not too bothered about raw capability on a compact, its mearly for snaps etc

I thought so, I just thought you might want to consider it.
The more interesting compacts start above your budget, AFAIK :shrug:

Just bought a Panasonic TZ6 off the for sale forum on here. So far its proved to be very impressive with a Leica lens, well worth a look IMO

I thought so, I just thought you might want to consider it.
The more interesting compacts start above your budget, AFAIK :shrug:

yeh i know, its more for snaps than anything else so not really that bothered by out and out quality, the ixus60 was all we really needed so im quite tempted by the ixus95is as it seems to do all we want

The Panasonic Lumix series are worth a look - we chose one over the ixus earlier this year when comparing the 2 in store (y)

my old boss bought one of those and i was quite impressed, is it not a bit big though?

My previous P & S was an Ixus 4, the Panny is only slightly bigger and feels more solid, but it will still fit into a shirt pocket. I am unsure about the latest Ixus models, I havent compared the size's. My Ixus gave good service and some good results, but to be honest, the Panasonic Lumix TZ6 blows it out of the water in picture quality and features, especially the 12 times optical zoom compared to the 3 times on my Ixus 4.
I carry this with me every day just in case, its easier than my full DSLR kit, useful too for snapshots on the day out with the family or whatever.

I would mention that there is a Lumix FZ28 series that is much larger, (a bridge camera), but the TZ6 is broadly comparable to the Ixus range as far as size is concerned.

Link: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Super+Zoom/DMC-TZ6/Overview/2032514/index.html
Trev

The Ixus 100 would be my choice in that range. Very small size and gorgeous design, it's about the only camera I've seen which is genuinely unobtrusive enough to carry around all the time. The pictures are certainly good enough for snap use. If you pixel peep, there's pretty obvious CA at the edges, but for normal use, exposures are good and the results are pretty pleasing. £183 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251245229&sr=8-1

Cheers

George

just had a look at the tz6 and its out of my price range (a bit over £200 from well known stores - i dont fancy handing a load of cash to some company ive never heard of)

the ixus 100 looks ok though, ill check that out.

I am too in the market for a gift for my daughter,would really like somethiing from the FZ range

I have a Nikon P5100 which I'm very happy with - it has a lot of additional features that a lot of P&S don't seem to have. (I won't list them as there are loads, but google it & you'll see what I mean :))

price is also in the right range

good luck with your hunting (y)

Didnt read the other replies, but I just bought a Panasonic Lumix FS7 for £114 posted from the US and I am well impressed.

Out performs the Samsung and Casio point and shoots we have by a long way. Only downsides are the lack of zoom and custom settings, but the iA mode is awesome, its relatively small, simple to use and doesnt feel cheap.

Back