Incredibly Annoyed

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I need to have a rant! My son (2 1/2) is ill. He has been ill since Saturday. I thought he was getting better yesterday so I called into work said look he needs one more day home so I need to be here with him. I got a not warm invitation but a begrudging ok. When I went to make my son up this morning he was burning up with fever and all over poorly. I made a Dr's appointment and called work at 0830 to let them know, he is really poorly. They tell me if I don't come in and get some work to do at home (this is what really killed me) "because I was doing nothing all day." I would have to take the day without pay. I asked if I could use it as holiday and they said no either work or no pay. So I had to take my very ill and very contagious son out to work (I told him to breath on everyone) to pick up work so I can do it at home. I guess what really gets me is that there is no set standard each department handles it in their own way and since noone else in my department has any children there is just no compassion. I am still seething about the sitting at home doing nothing all day AS IF!!!

Is it a big company?
certainly sounds like they are being bloody unfair expecting you to go into work! Hope they all get a fever!
They should have policies for unwell dependents... Although these policies are quite often unpaid leave or emergency holiday :(

They do have a policy but it states unpaid up to your supervisor if they want to pay you. Which ends up with I get unpaid because noone has kids in my department and Accounts who are mostly married with children get time off with pay. I have no problem taking it as holiday that is what I had to do at my last job but they won't let me do that either. I hope they all get sick!

That's terrible.... at least the NHS give us carers leave / compassionate leave.

Its a bummer is'nt it? :thumbsdown:

My kids are grown up now, but I had similar issues when they were tiny and now have issues with a sick parent. "Carers leave" only applies if its a dire emergency, so hospital appointments/treatments don't count. I've almost used up all my Annual Leave for this year (April-march) so what I'll have to do next is take unpaid leave.......

So much for the family-freindly NHS!!!

I've almost used up all my Annual Leave for this year (April-march) so what I'll have to do next is take unpaid leave.......

So much for the family-freindly NHS!!!

I can give you some of mine :D I still have 13 days left to take, not including my forthcoming week off! I'm struggling to actually fit it all in. Staff shortages + extra annual leave entitlement = not a good combination :LOL:

Hope the wee lad feels better soon :)

A women at my work is in the same position, she's the only one with children. A couple of weeks ago her son who is 14 got beaten up at shcool and was kicked several times in the head! She was obviously very concerned and wanted to go home immediatley to make sure he was ok. This happened at 3.30pm just as school ended we finish work at 5.15pm and normally after 4pm theres not much to do, however, our very uncompaisonate boss would not let her finish early to check on him! Unbelievale :bang: When she eventually got home she found her son was not good and had to call for an ambulance and he was rushed to hospital! I think it is really unfair how they treat people who have kids :annoyed: Her son is ok now but still the boss hasn't asked how he is!

A women at my work is in the same position, she's the only one with children. A couple of weeks ago her son who is 14 got beaten up at shcool and was kicked several times in the head! She was obviously very concerned and wanted to go home immediatley to make sure he was ok. This happened at 3.30pm just as school ended we finish work at 5.15pm and normally after 4pm theres not much to do, however, our very uncompaisonate boss would not let her finish early to check on him! Unbelievale :bang: When she eventually got home she found her son was not good and had to call for an ambulance and he was rushed to hospital! I think it is really unfair how they treat people who have kids :annoyed: Her son is ok now but still the boss hasn't asked how he is!

He's just a T__T. Family first.

They do have a policy but it states unpaid up to your supervisor if they want to pay you. Which ends up with I get unpaid because noone has kids in my department and Accounts who are mostly married with children get time off with pay. I have no problem taking it as holiday that is what I had to do at my last job but they won't let me do that either. I hope they all get sick!

I think you may find, different department or no, if you work for a company that allows some to be off with pay for child care times ... then they must treat everyone the same ... it is discrimination if they don't and therefore likely to be illegal ... speak to your HR manager or take advice ... is my advice ...fwiw ...:p

Otherwise ... they are just heartless pratts ... find another job ... hrf ...:shrug:

I would probably be tempted to take it up with HR also - certainly challenge the policy that it is up to your supervisor as to wether you get paid!
Discrimination is a bad thing to have in a workplace, HR are the only people who can confirm exactly what the company policy is for you
(Remember managers like yous sounds like to make people believe that they have that level of authority. In a multi department company it is likely they dont!)

My fiancee (who used to work in employment law) says you have a right to be treated equally to other members of staff so ti is worth taking advice...

Good luck!

I agree with the two comments above, if they treat people differently it is discrimination.
If you are not in a union contact one and they will be able to advise.

Here is exactly what our policy states on pay for dependence illness:

4. Pay

Although your statutory right to take time off to deal with emergencies relating to dependants is for unpaid leave, the Company has discretion to pay such periods of leave and in most normal circumstances (where leave taken is not excessive) will do so.

Apparently 2 days is excessive...

the company I work for just said I would have to leave if I needed time off with my little girl....horrid people, it sort of makes you so angry but absolutely helpless! also it makes people take sickies instead of telling the truth...

My employers allow compassionate leave (paid) for this kind of thing, the length of time allowed varies with seriousness, and this can be supplemented with annual or flexi leave if necessary.

Back