Beginner indian christian holy communion celebration..

Name
derek
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all Ive got the opportunity to do some casual and formal photos for a friends indian christian communion celebration, the event is inside a restaurant with a stage setting . ill be using a d700 + 70-200 2.8vr11. also have 50mm 1.8 and a 19-35mm 3.5.. can anyone offer any tips for settings or lighting. many thanks.

Any chance of getting to the venue before the event to check out the lighting? I realise the light setup could be different at the time but you might an idea of what to expect.

Reviews of your camera suggest it is very capable at high ISO. Can you link auto ISO and shutter speed on the D700, ie can you set a minimum shutter speed and the camera will vary the ISO to make sure the shutter speed doesn't fall below your minimum?

Dave

Do you have flash? For indoors in a restaurant setting I would bounce flash off walls or ceilings if possible to add light and allow shooting at f4 or 5.6 to get more depth of field and more people sharp and in focus.

If you can get to the venue in advance to practice even better.

Reactions: nog
Yes I have a tip, the d700 with 50 1.8g turned on its side to make portraits makes full body photos that are particularly nice in my opinion.
Don't know why, they just looked pleasant and bokeh was good

For indoors in a restaurant setting I would bounce flash off walls or ceilings if possible to add light ...
But it might be as well to consider what colour casts restaurant walls and ceilings might contribute - they're unlikely to be neutral!

But it might be as well to consider what colour casts restaurant walls and ceilings might contribute - they're unlikely to be neutral!

Good point! Gels can help. Here they are often wood with tungsten lights which fortunately works out - the orange cast from the wood avoiding the need for a gel for the tungsten.

I would be inclined to use the 50 1.8 as much as possible, set to f2 or f2.8, and between iso 1600 and 6400 depending on ambient light levels available. I use a D610 with 50 1.8D to shoot musicians in very dim lighting, and find the results very acceptable.

Back