Indoor photos with no flash?

Name
Irina
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked to take some photos at friends child birthday party which will take place in soft play, so no natural light.

I dont have any flash, so not sure if i'll be able to pull that off without it by just boosting ISO and lighten up if needed in post production

Any tips or suggestions?

Use your widest aperture lens ? If you have the 50mm 1.8 would be a good start....

Depends what equipment you have available - and how far you can push the ISO to be usable.

Don't under expose too much. It makes the noise at high ISO significantly worse.

Use your widest aperture lens ? If you have the 50mm 1.8 would be a good start....

Depends what equipment you have available - and how far you can push the ISO to be usable.

I have only 85mm 1.8 lens which should be wide enough, the only problem if i take photos 2-3 people i need to bum it up to about f4 to keep everyone in focus

If it's a kids birthday party - you won't be expecting studio quality images - but usable memories.... Something has to give if you don't have the equipment - so either slightly blurry in places - or you'll need a flash....

Hmmm, i was not thinking to change exposure settings, if it would be dark, then if i would change it, i'd add/overexpose than underexpose
It was in reference to the comment about "lightening up in post production". Technically you can, but the darker an image, the more grain will be present when you come to lighten it up later on.

Why not try taking photos first at home in similar light ? that way you can check your camera settings and get it more or less right.

Do you have a flash on your camera?

Reading the spec it says " Assist Beam Emitted by an optional dedicated Speedlite" but no speedlight on camera that i can see in the spec, it is an optional extra unit

Last edited:
I've got a flash you can have if it's any help to you, it's only a cheapo but it works.

I'd not bother with group shots. I'd keep it at 1.8 and get natural shots of the kids doing what kids do. If you do catch two or three kids together, try keeping them on a level plane and maybe shoot at 2.8 ... that's what i'd do anyway, so just a thought...

Its still memories for the parents
If it's a kids birthday party - you won't be expecting studio quality images - but usable memories.... Something has to give if you don't have the equipment - so either slightly blurry in places - or you'll need a flash....

I dont want to do something that wont come out nice (not studio quality, but blury image is no good) if i wont be able to take decent photos, i better say no to them. But thanks for honest advice, i better go to that place and try out my camera first

I'd not bother with group shots. I'd keep it at 1.8 and get natural shots of the kids doing what kids do. If you do catch two or three kids together, try keeping them on a level plane and maybe shoot at 2.8 ... that's what i'd do anyway, so just a thought...

Thanks for the tips! Thats very helpful
I'll keep that in mind.

Id just say no. You don't have the equipment or experience to produce a result. Time to be honest.

That would be very nice of you. I can pay postage costs. Would it fit on any camera?
I have Canon 6D

Hi, it works with my Canon's in manual mode so it should work with your 6D no problem.

It's only a cheap Polaroid flashgun, i think i only paid £20 for it, it might look out of place on a Canon 6D though lol :)

PM me your details if you want it.

Last edited:
IME soft play centres can be very difficult. Fast moving subjects, lots of things in the way and dark with horrible-coloured halogen lighting. Ramp up the ISO and plan for black & white.
You're probably best off waiting until they're all sat down to sing happy birthday or play pass-the-parcel. That may well be in a small side room; 85mm will probably be too long. Can you borrow a 50mm lens?

Surprised they allow photography to be honest most of the kids places here don't, have you checked?

Surprised they allow photography to be honest most of the kids places here don't, have you checked?

Yes, they allow, apparently they dont have any policy snd i was surprised as well.

On the weekends its closed for general public, do just parties and as long as i'll be focusing on the right children, that shouldbe fine

IME soft play centres can be very difficult. Fast moving subjects, lots of things in the way and dark with horrible-coloured halogen lighting. Ramp up the ISO and plan for black & white.
You're probably best off waiting until they're all sat down to sing happy birthday or play pass-the-parcel. That may well be in a small side room; 85mm will probably be too long. Can you borrow a 50mm lens?

You are so right about colours and lightning, party rooms are the worst (no space at all) and i will not be able to do anything there with my 85mm. The play area itself and breakout area were not too bad and ivd managed to get bright images.
The best bit was large cornfield in front of the building, so thats where i'll take family photos instead
I gave the family my honest feedback, so waiting for them to come back if they still want me to take the photos

Regarding b&w, shoot in b&w or convert afterwards?

You are so right about colours and lightning, party rooms are the worst (no space at all) and i will not be able to do anything there with my 85mm. The play area itself and breakout area were not too bad and ivd managed to get bright images.
The best bit was large cornfield in front of the building, so thats where i'll take family photos instead
I gave the family my honest feedback, so waiting for them to come back if they still want me to take the photos

Regarding b&w, shoot in b&w or convert afterwards?

Shoot raw and convert afterwards, always. You can usually set the camera to show a b&w preview but I wouldn't use that as my final result.

It's not been a problem in the 4 soft play centres I've taken my son to.

Perhaps it is different here, we have photographed 2 Birthday parties at soft play centres for clients and 1 for our youngest. At each photography was not allowed in the play area and we had to take the kids outside. Photography was allowed in the rooms they use for eating, birthday cake etc. but not in the play area itself. Which is silly really as they only enforce it for camera's and seem quite happy for Mum's & Dad's to use their mobile phones.

Last edited:
Back