Industar 55mm 2.8 cla

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I have a industar 55mm 2.8 that I want to use as a 50mm on my Leica until I can justify spending more one a 50. The focus ring is really stiff, feels like it needs lubrication. Is it just a case of taking the back off and putting some kind of lubricant in the correct place or is it more complicated?

I am guessing that your Leica body is LTM, Your Industar in that condition is not worth a great deal and you can buy a 39 thread mount lens either Russian or Japanese for less than £20.00 and that I feel would be the best route for you.

Opening the lens and trying to apply the correct type of grease is the last part of the work,striping and cleaning is the first and you may struggle to achieve that and having a CLA carried out would cost at least £40.00.

See here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDUSTAR...h=item1a37ef1adf:g:0JkAAOSw6VRZ50CV:rk:9:pf:0

Last edited:
I am guessing that your Leica body is LTM, Your Industar in that condition is not worth a great deal and you can buy a 39 thread mount lens either Russian or Japanese for less than £20.00 and that I feel would be the best route for you.

Opening the lens and trying to apply the correct type of grease is the last part of the work,striping and cleaning is the first and you may struggle to achieve that and having a CLA carried out would cost at least £40.00.

See here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDUSTAR...h=item1a37ef1adf:g:0JkAAOSw6VRZ50CV:rk:9:pf:0
It’s actially an m2. I only want to try the industar and see if I still think I’d use a 50 a lot. I already have the adaptor to use it on the m mount.
But yea that’s what I was thinking. I did think even the cost of the right grease would get close to what a lens would cost

Who’s to say any other Russian lens you buy won’t also need work? If I were you I’d try and fix the one you have. You’ll need to strip the lens down a bit to lubricate the focussing ring, but it’s not rocket science. I relubed a Jupiter 8 LTM lens five or six years ago and it was pretty straightforward. I just used regular lithium grease. There’s a guide to stripping and lubricating an Industar-61 here.

Who’s to say any other Russian lens you buy won’t also need work? If I were you I’d try and fix the one you have. You’ll need to strip the lens down a bit to lubricate the focussing ring, but it’s not rocket science. I relubed a Jupiter 8 LTM lens five or six years ago and it was pretty straightforward. I just used regular lithium grease. There’s a guide to stripping and lubricating an Industar-61 here.
I’ll give it a go, bought the grease the other day, try it tomorrow!

Back