Beginner Industar Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys ,

Just a quickie, I have seen these lenses on ebay and am thinking of buying one, before i take the plunge has anyone bought one/used one.

also will these fit a nikon d3000.

Many Thanks.

Look like ancient lenses so no they won’t fit without an adapter and you will be completely manual, with no metering or autofocus. The lens won’t talk to the camera at all, so you’ll need to enable “shoot without lens” if it has it in the settings.

Industar 50mm f/3.5 was the budget standard lens option on Zenith SLRs in the 70s. It was rubbish then and even more rubbish now.

They may have a following for the look they give but generally I think that mirrorless cameras are the best things to mount manual lenses on. DSLR's are best used with AF lenses, imo, as they lack focus aids unless used in live view.

I did briefly use some old Olympus Zuiko lenses on a Canon DSLR but focusing often didn't stand up to pixel peeping.

PS.
I've just checked the usual auction site and it may actually be possible to get an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 for less. I still wouldn't recommend using manual lenses on a DSLR though.

Last edited:
It won't fit your camera without an adapter, if you can even get one, and if you could it would act like an extension tube meaning you could only focus on subjects within a couple of feet. Old lenses like these only 'work' with mirrorless cameras in truth.

Nikon DSLRs don't easily take other lenses because of flange to sensor distance. You need an adaptor with an additional lens in it to work properly.

Hoppy summed it up well, but some people like photos taken using optically poor lenses.

Hi Guys ,

Just a quickie, I have seen these lenses on ebay and am thinking of buying one, before i take the plunge has anyone bought one/used one.

also will these fit a nikon d3000.

Many Thanks.
I had one on my Zenit B. it was a perfectly good lens but it is manual and the aperture has no open aperture metering. It does not operate like a modren lens. It was a 50mm industar f3.5 M42.

It will not fit a Nikon D3000 without an adapter if there is one.

They do not have any electrical connections either so it almost certainly will not work even with an adapter.

Not all Industar lenses are rubbish! It was more like the Russian (USSR) quality control should have that title. Some were good, actually quite good (the F2.8.52mm versions) and some were shockingly bad and would not qualify for the bottom of a beer glass.. It was the low standards that the Russian optical industry worked to was the prime cause for a poor reputation.

Back