Beginner Inexpensive Landscape Photography Holidays

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Although I'm an experienced amateur tog, I have only limited experience of landscape.

Can anyone recommend any inexpensive landscape photo holidays. Mainly looking for a bit of tuition, good locations and good company.

Thanks

Bernard Gheharty - from his instagram feed he does loads and he seems a fun fella. No such thing as an inexpensive landscape photo holiday - you're paying a working professional to take you to locations you could, with some thought and planning, get to yourself and also for their time not just on the tour - but all the logistical planning that goes into such a thing - which if you were going solo you would do in your own time.

https://www.bglandscapetours.ie/

Inexpensive is a difficult factor as everyone has a differing opinion of what’s in expensive to them. The photography tours @SFTPhotography has linked to look quite a good price considering what you get with accommodation and transport between locations. Other than a photography tour what about creating your own one with a day or two as part of a workshop? You could do a photography workshop then spend a couple of days on your own putting what you learnt into practice. With the number of photography location books you can easily find locations without needing someone to take you there.

Although I'm an experienced amateur tog, I have only limited experience of landscape.

Can anyone recommend any inexpensive landscape photo holidays. Mainly looking for a bit of tuition, good locations and good company.

Thanks

Define inexpensive?

John Gravett runs some great workshops in the Lakes. You are looking at about £650 for 4 nights BnB and 3 days out with him, arrive on Monday, leave on Friday.

I can heartily recommend the big workshop with the SkyePhotoAcademy - a packed 6 days for around £200/day

went on it last year and am back up in November

the guys live on the island and know when to be in the best places

a dream

Dave

That Photographing Scotland book (as with the rest in the series) is a stunner

Inspirational stuff

but I look at the book and don't know where to start - I would feel the need to focus on no more than a couple of locations from the book (Scotland is big) and combine that with a load of research on tides and times and what time of year and what time of day the shot works and so on

I've got far more out of hiring someone who knows what they're on about than anything I've spent on any new gear

The quality of guides does vary but when you find someone who knows what they're doing it really is a game changer

for instance there's a waterfall on Skye that's only good for a window of a few weeks outside of which it's really drab

Dave

That Photographing Scotland book (as with the rest in the series) is a stunner

Inspirational stuff

but I look at the book and don't know where to start - I would feel the need to focus on no more than a couple of locations from the book (Scotland is big) and combine that with a load of research on tides and times and what time of year and what time of day the shot works and so on

I've got far more out of hiring someone who knows what they're on about than anything I've spent on any new gear

The quality of guides does vary but when you find someone who knows what they're doing it really is a game changer

for instance there's a waterfall on Skye that's only good for a window of a few weeks outside of which it's really drab

Dave

I agree that a good guide/tutor is irreplaceable.

That's basically what I'm planning. Going to hire a cottage in the Peaks and go with Photographing the Peak District in hand.

Sounds like a good plan, did something similar last summer (2018) in the Shropshire Hills, a book would have been welcome.
Got away from the unbearable heat in East Anglia too which was an unexpected bonus

When I was starting out I liked to do day workshops mainly to get location tips as well as brush up on skills then would stay in the area for several more days. Someone like Chris Herring (The UK Landscape) is well-priced and knowledgeable and offers a range of locations. Companies like Light and Land would likely be very good with their residential workshops and calibre of their photographers but they're expensive. For learning nothing really beats getting out on your own or with like-minded friends, you learn so much just by spending time out there - landscape photography is about so much more than camera settings it's about learning to anticipate the weather too

One option might be to organise a meet-up on here for a long weekend or whatever. Alternatively you could join the RPS, they do all kinds of workshops at reasoanble prices, often single day or a weekend and you ogranise your own accomodation but also some longer events with pre-booked accomodation.

If you want to attend a workshop, fair enough. But the landscape is already out there, and mostly freely available. Perhaps you could think in terms of developing your own vision of it, rather than looking for training in the mimicking of somebody else's.

It sounds that you're hoping for a social event and are willing to pay for a certain lack of autonomy and purpose. But I'm talking purely photographically. Why landscape? Does it inspire you, and in what ways? If it does, why not just work to develop that. Photographic techniques are widely available. Vision can't be bought.

One option might be to organise a meet-up on here for a long weekend or whatever. Alternatively you could join the RPS, they do all kinds of workshops at reasoanble prices, often single day or a weekend and you ogranise your own accomodation but also some longer events with pre-booked accomodation.

Thanks for RPS suggestion. I just looked it up and booked a very reasonably priced sunrise to sunset day right here in Norfolk.

I'd definitely be interested in putting together a TP members trip. I feel I'm rather too much of a landscape newbie just yet.

I'd definitely be interested in putting together a TP members trip. I feel I'm rather too much of a landscape newbie just yet.
I've been on a few and they have always been a good laugh, very sociable and a chance to compare notes with like-minded people.

When I was starting out I liked to do day workshops mainly to get location tips as well as brush up on skills then would stay in the area for several more days. Someone like Chris Herring (The UK Landscape) is well-priced and knowledgeable and offers a range of locations. Companies like Light and Land would likely be very good with their residential workshops and calibre of their photographers but they're expensive. For learning nothing really beats getting out on your own or with like-minded friends, you learn so much just by spending time out there - landscape photography is about so much more than camera settings it's about learning to anticipate the weather too
I went on a one day long exposure workshop with Chris Herring and can also recommend him. For me it was less of finding locations but providing the motivation to get out there. I also picked up some useful tips. There's nothing quite like immediate feedback

The Photographing Scotland book is great. I used it when I went to Scotland last year.
I also have the Photographing East Anglia book by @justinminns and that is excellent. Justin also runs workshops so you can get the tutoring to go with the book ;)

Back