Info on Sony Cameras A and E mounts

Edit My Images
Yes
HI all.

I've currently got an all sony set up (1ds MKII) and various canon only lenses, a 580exII flash, and also a metz 76-mz5 flash gun.
I've been toying with the idea of going for the 5Dmk IV as I inherited some money and had always said to my mom i'd use any money to buy a new camera for myself.

Anyway...

The new A99 looks rather nice also and I am wondering whether I should consider going Sony and finding which/if any of their systems allow me to keep my canon glass (and through adaptors?) allow full AF and speed.
Otherwise, i'd have to buy completely into the sony setup and at least get 5-way in-camera IS but there's a risk my METZ won't be compatible.
Which of the sony mount types are suitable and if having to sell canon 17-40,25-105, f4 70-200, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8,plus the camera and flash...would I be in a position to fund decent amounts of sony glass?

of course, sony also have a new announcement due this year I think but (and assuming that even with adaptors, I won't get the same performance), what would you do?

Shooting wise...portraits, weddings, architecture and general holiday stuff..

Taking into consideration your shooting style I would tentatively suggest you go for a Sony A7R2 . This is a E mount body - all your Canon lenses will work exceedingly well if you use the Sigma MC-11 adapter ( with latest firmware installed). This is what I use and I have no problem using Canon lenses.

... what would you do?
Personally I wouldn't spend a load of money and incur a load of hassle switching brands, unless I had a clear idea of how this would benefit me. You may well have such an idea, but if so you haven't shown any evidence of it yet.

I think the sony camera(s) are offering a lot more in terms of DR and resolution, along with built-in IS.

If I was starting over again, i'd choose the sony ones, but the issue is giving up glass and flash I currently have and not knowing how far i'll get in selling my current stuff and buying in sony, or (as jbs helpfully posted) the possibility of using adaptors instead.

I think the sony camera(s) are offering a lot more in terms of DR and resolution, along with built-in IS.
Fair point, but if you want to get the resolution out of the sensor, you need to use lenses which are capable of delivering that resolution. Of the 5 Canon lenses you mentioned, it's questionable whether any of them - except perhaps the 70-200mm f/4 - are really good enough for the best modern sensors. Do you intend to use better lenses with a Sony system, and will the budget support it?

that's the sort of question i hope to answer.
i could buy the 5dmkiv with current funds along with one of the two offered kit lenses (the updated 24-105 or the 24-70...)
Or sell everything canon and buy a new sony body instead - using the same money originally for a new dslr and then seeing what i could get for all the canon glass and would I be able to get a couple of decent lenses in one of the sony range.

again, i don't know if sony will support the a mounts moving forward and i don't yet know enough about their system to determine if the a99, or a7 or a7rii...
I'm perfectly happy wiht the size/batter of the 1ds mkii and it's been an utter workhorse...but lowlight performance and focussing are starting to really bug me...and it's due an upgrade.

i don't intend to keep changing systems if I can help it so if I jump ship now (or can wait until q1 next year), then of course, either sony or canon might make some even more intriguing announcements.
i know, this sounds a little like 'waiting for the next, no the next', but I will, in the next few months, get into either a new system entirely, or stick with canon, and i would like as much informed choice as i can get beforehand.

It's a good point you make about the quality of the glass and according to early reviews of teh 24-105, it is an improvement...
having said that, in-body IS/faster focusing (and more accurate focusing if other sites are to be believed), resolution are powerful arguments...against which i ahve to weigh possibility of not being able to use the metz flash grrr.

HI all.

The new A99 looks rather nice also and I am wondering whether I should consider going Sony and finding which/if any of their systems allow me to keep my canon glass (and through adaptors?) allow full AF and speed..
A mount won't so that leaves you with E mount.

Your 580 flash should fit & work but I imagine only in a basic mode as it won't be able to use Sony's flash protocol (which tbh is not as good as Canon's anyway). There is an SCA TTL cable for Sony listed for the Metz.

Last edited:
looking like the SCA 3302 in any version may be very hard to find ...

Back