Information on marches/rallies etc

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

As above really. I spent a great day at the anti Brexit march in London yesterday, and got some good shots. I would love to do some more reportage photography, but can't seem to find any websites as to where I can find out where and when any upcoming marches are. Are there any websites/organisations that I can go to to get such information?

Any pointers would be welcome.

TIA,
Nick

Try political facebook groups. And be prepared to travel round the country at short notice.

Good advice. Never really thought of Facebook as I'm not a regular user

Seriously?! You need to be spoon fed on what's going on! You're never going to make it in documentary photography by being passive.
Check out Weegee's work. He tuned in to police radio broadcasts to chase the scene.
If you can't even be arsed to do your own research then you probably shouldn't be in that line of work

Seriously?! You need to be spoon fed on what's going on! You're never going to make it in documentary photography by being passive.
Check out Weegee's work. He tuned in to police radio broadcasts to chase the scene.
If you can't even be arsed to do your own research then you probably shouldn't be in that line of work

Work? who mentioned work?? I had a good day out photographing people yesterday. I have no intention of making a living doing it! It's for my own hobby

Work? who mentioned work?? I had a good day out photographing people yesterday. I have no intention of making a living doing it! It's for my own hobby

Hobby or not, you still need to put the work in to make it successful.

Not just facebook. You need to have the appropriate twitter following on your mobile phone. I went to a pro-EU (celebrating the Treaty of Rome) march in Edinburgh the other day. The meeting place and route was well advertised. But we were a little late, so planned to intercept the march. It turned out that at the last minute some hastily organised fascists had organised a very rowdy and threatening confrontation near the start of the planned route. This had attracted larger mobs of pre-EU supporters who wanted to give the fascists the fight the fascists they were asking for. The police managed to contain this confrontation, but couldn't easily move it. So at the last minute they negotiated a complete change of meeting place and venue to the official long planned pr-EU march. When we got to our planned interception point there were lots of people milling around full of contradictory rumours as to what was going on. We lost about half an hour in finding out what was really going on getting to the new location.

Had I been plugged into the march's twitter feed I would have known this before leaving the house.

The march and subsequent meeting with speeches outside Parliament was attended by plenty of professional news photographers, and lots of enthusiastic amateurs with FF cameras and tripods, quite a few with two cameras with different lenses at the ready. Some of them were dashing about trying to get high vantage points on the tops of walls to see over the top of the crowd and give a perspective impression of it. Some of them were holding cameras up as far as they could reach to see over the tops of people's heads. Yet as usual on marches and demonstrations I was the only one using a monopod (and radio shutter trigger) as a way of quickly lofting my camera up way overhead for those crowd in perspective shots.

Why does nobody else do this?

Yet as usual on marches and demonstrations I was the only one using a monopod (and radio shutter trigger) as a way of quickly lofting my camera up way overhead for those crowd in perspective shots.
I saw many people using monopods and poles like this at the Unite For Europe march in London on Saturday. But I'm not sure that blind radio-trigger shooting with a monopod is necessarily much better than arms length - although I am over 6' so have a height advantage over many in the crowd. There were a few better prepared and using wireless tethering apps on their phones to aid composition too, which I think's a better way of doing that. I personally prefer the immediacy/immersion of having the camera in the 5-7' height range, it gives a better indication of being present in the crowd and part of the crowd.

Back