Information on the new Canon line up.

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so as I was on the money regarding the 40D, here is the latest I have on Canons impending line up. It may be true - we are taking it with a pinch, but it sounds likely.

Canon 3D - £2k - Summer release.

Full frame 16.1 mp, Digic 3, 5 fps.

Canon 5D Mark II £1.5 ish Summer release.

Full frame 12.8 mp, Digic 3, 5 fps.

Canon 450D £500 - Due to be announced 15th Jan with a Spring release date.

12 mp, Digic 3, 3 fps.

Pete.

There goes residual values on the 1DSMK2 if the 3D rumour is true! :eek:

A 1500 quid launch price for the 5D Mk2 would be pretty incredible, but would confirm Canon's intention to drive full frame prices downwards.

Yeah,

What is most interesting is that I have been told that a Canon Mark IIII (4) will be here sooner rather than later (possibly Autumn 08) as Canon simply want to distance themselves from the Mark III white elephant, despite it allegedly working well now. It will be the same internally, but badged differently.

Therefore, the resale of the cursed Mark III will be nothing. Scary when you consider I bought mark II n's for £2.3k and sold them both for decent money.

Pete.

Was thinking about buying a 5D in March but I think that my 5D fund may now be renamed as my 3D fund!!!

Pah, they still wont make the camera I want.

If I want a high quality mega pixel file I'll shoot with the leaf. What I (and I'd have thought a fair few folks) would want is a canon of reasonable quality like the 5d in a fast reacting, well built 1 series body.

Diego, Does this apply to the 1Ds mk3 as well, ie will it become the mk4?
George

Hmmm the 450d looks interesting, but will wait and see what happens with 20d/30d prices when the new cameras come out.

Canon 3D - £2k - Summer release.

Full frame 16.1 mp, Digic 3, 5 fps.

Canon 5D Mark II £1.5 ish Summer release.

Full frame 12.8 mp, Digic 3, 5 fps.

12 mp, Digic 3, 3 fps.

Sounds good

Yeah,

What is most interesting is that I have been told that a Canon Mark IIII (4) will be here sooner rather than later

While this is logical, isn't the number 4 considered to be very unlucky in the likes of Japan?

For this reason if a rebadged/rejigged mkIII is produced I cannot see them branding it as straightforward as mkIV

Pah, they still wont make the camera I want.

If I want a high quality mega pixel file I'll shoot with the leaf. What I (and I'd have thought a fair few folks) would want is a canon of reasonable quality like the 5d in a fast reacting, well built 1 series body.

How do you know that the 3D isn't a step closer to this? I would expect that this is the direction that they are going given the decision to release a 5D MkII and a 3D very soon after. Well fingers crossed anyways!

Oh, and I found this which made me laugh a lot! Click!

were does the 3d fit in? is it better than 5 worse than one and is there a nikon equvilant

Diego has disappeared...!!! Would be very interested in an answer to my question re the 1Ds mk 3, it's hardly out, will they really consider scrapping it after 9 months??!!!

re the 1Ds mk 3, it's hardly out, will they really consider scrapping it after 9 months??!!!

You wouldn't think so would you? Canon have scored a bad own goal though with a pro camera of this quality and this price point. It smacks of being rushed to market not properly tested. It may well be that there isn't that much wrong with it, and they are supposed to be offering recalls to fix the problem, but once consumer confidence in a camera has been battered like it has in this one, it's bound to reflect badly on sales.

It's all about money and reputation ultimately, so I could see an 'n' version at least being launched with a guaranteed fix and perhaps a few tweaks?

Yea, but I'm talking about the 1Ds not the 1D mk 3, CT. They have only started delivering them in the last month!!

Ah good point - I misread your post George. Well since it has the same AF system as the 1DMK3 they'll have had ample time to sort any issues before launch you would think. I'd buy one and risk it if I could justify the wonga. :D

Hope eye control make a return soon, I love that feature on my 50e.

Mine is due in a couple of weeks, from the US. Looking forward to it, don't think the autofocus will be to much of a concern. Very hapy with the system on the 40D, at 6.5fps it's spot on.

George

5D MK ii is also rumored to have:

16MP DIGIC III
14 bit RAW
sRAW format
3″ LCD
Live View
Refined AF (similar to 40D)
Semi Weather Sealing
4-5 FPS

Kinda what we'd expect, bearing in mind the new line up

5D MK ii is also rumored to have:

16MP DIGIC III
14 bit RAW
sRAW format
3″ LCD
Live View
Refined AF (similar to 40D)
Semi Weather Sealing
4-5 FPS

By weather sealing, if you mean those little tape around the memory card door then it probably will have, but it won't be on the level of the 1 series, not even close.

I would be interested to see if they do replace the 1dmk3 so soon, i know its had a load of issues but with firmaware fixes and recalls are these issues not being resolved?

Wonder if that means there will be some cheap mk3s around then.

Also the can 3d sounds pretty cool as does the price for the new 5dmk2 :)

Hope eye control make a return soon, I love that feature on my 50e.

Nooooooo!! I remember spending more time setting that up than taking shots with my 5 :p

There goes residual values on the 1DSMK2 if the 3D rumour is true! :eek:

A 1500 quid launch price for the 5D Mk2 would be pretty incredible, but would confirm Canon's intention to drive full frame prices downwards.

But in the latest issue of EOS magazine Canon say full frame will never go consumer as it's just too expensive making full frame chips. They give good reasons of why this is true.

PS I know 5D is not consumer kit.

12 mp, Digic 3, 3 fps.

Can I ask where you got the 12MP info from please? Everything I have read so far has stated (guessed) at the 450D having 10MP, same as the 400D.

Do you have a link to something please?

Diego works in the trade and I suspect he's gleaned this info from a Canon rep. Canon tend not to be too impressed with advance info being leaked on new models so I'd take the info for what it is. ;)

Beware of any rumours anyway until it's an official press release.

OK (y)

...but wouldn't that make the 450D 'better' than the 40D?

It might make the sensor better that won't necessarily equate to having a better AF, weather sealing, construction etc etc than a 40D.

So, side by side, on a sunny day taking a photo of a landscape, the 450D would be better than a 40D...........?

Diego, sorry to repeat this, but do you understand that the 1Ds mk 3 (not just the 1Dmk 3) will be replaced?

Thanks, George

Back