Infra Red....and the real thing.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken with a 40D fully converted with type 650NM filter.
An old iron bridge crossing the River Aln at Hulne Park in Alnwick Northumberland.

1 The Jpeg straight out the camera
5902969476_c37cd07ec6_b.jpg

2. Colour channels switched.
5902359645_61aaafee3f_b.jpg

3. A mono conversion.
5902432781_7e6e80ee82_b.jpg

4. And the real thing taken with a 5DMK2:)
5901017843_6826a2ef36_b.jpg

More of mine here here if interested in infra red

Last edited:
Well that really is quite something. All of them the "real thing", as it were, just a matter of wavelength perception. They look like the sorta thing you'd put on an album cover.

Thats very interesting - thanks for sharing! Number 2 is definately my favourite.

This might have been said a hundred times, but the second photo looks the most like hoar frost on an icy cold winter's morning (as the blue sky is retained)!

Good work!

I like the high contrast nature of these shots (1,2 3) Very interesting effect that turns a rather common scene into something uncommon.

Very interesting effects, I personally really like the mono conversion as it has a really nice feel to it... just don't know why. :LOL:

Many thanks for the replies:)

Jonathan, the IR Cut Filter or hot mirror as it is sometimes called is removed from the sensor and replaced with an IR filter of your choice, 830/720/665/590, this allows you to use the camera normally rather that focus the shot first before adding the dark filter on a lens and having to give it a long exposure of iirc about 30 seconds.

My choice of filter was the 665.

Hi, can you explain what factors influence the choice of IR filters?
Thanks

Depends on how much colour if any you want to have in your image, ranging from the 830nm which has no colour to a 590nm that lets in more natural light and allows more colour in your final image.

See here

And you can even download the raw images from the different filters to have a go at processing yourself:)

The most commonly used is the 720 nm.

Last edited:
Back