Infra red film

I went through a fad with IR film when I were a youth. You only need a red filter for your lens and you're away.

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure it would be processed in normal soup. The combination of the IR film and the red filter gives a very dramatic contrasty image - almost black skies and stark white clouds, but the effect on cutting through UV haze was remarkable. I used to go up Long Mynd in Shropshire, or The Malvern Hills and on a really good day you get shots where you see the curve of the earth in the distance.

Sad to see IR film is hard to get now - hardly surprising though.

Ouch at the price, that's four times the price it used to be sold for!

Silverprint still do Ilford and Rollie IR film at much less cost http://www.silverprint.co.uk/bwf6.html and others may do too.

If the film is 'normal' process to get developed i think it would be worth a go, i really like pics that look 'different'

Ordinary thinks are... well, ordinary!

I'll warn you - it can get under your skin. Well worth having a go.

silo.jpg

I didn't take it - I did a web search for IR pics

There aren't any particular exposure problems with IR film. The only thing is that you have to adjust the focus point slightly (manually) after you've focused. There used to be a red dot/mark by the DOF scale on lenses and that's what it was for - to re-align the focus so that it was right for infra red light wave lengths.

Sometimes you get it on modern lenses - sometimes you don't, you'll need to check your lenses to see. On an old film camera lens it's almost certain to be there.

Gaz81

If you do have a go with the Kodak film. REMEMBER The camera MUST be loaded & Unloaded in complete darkness. If the cap is removed from the film canister in bright light there is a fair chance that the film will be fogged. The Ilford film was not quite so sensitive & can be loaded/Unloaded in dim lighting.

Regards Toonie

hmm... that sensitive?

Forgive my stupidness but what if its a really hot day? what it bugger the film?

I was also thinking of getting an R72 filter for my digital camera.

hmm... that sensitive?

Forgive my stupidness but what if its a really hot day? what it bugger the film?

I was also thinking of getting an R72 filter for my digital camera.

Heat will make it more sensitive, but not to the extent you need worry, it's light thats your problem.

The more sensitive the film, generally the better. Especially in terms of just using a red filter. The SFX stuff from Ilford is a fairly low-sensitive film, and thus you actually need a pretty good filter to go with it.

Well, it will have to wait until pay day before i put an order on.

Will have to find a 48mm red filter as well, only got a yellow one.

Also, just got a 6x6 Zeiss Ikon Nettar off ebay so need film for that to!

flippin ebay!

Back