Infrared conversions

Edit My Images
Yes
I was going to buy an infrared filter but after seeing some sample photos taken by people with the same camera as me to say they're dissapointing would be an understatement :( after a bit of googling came across these guys who fancies sending their £2K camera off to be converted so it only shoots IR? :thinking:

but it got me thinking about those old P&S digi cams I've got on a shelf gathering dust....... do you think i'd be able to take one of them apart remove the old "hot mirror" filter and cut an IR filter to fit and put it in its place? :shrug:

Yes.

Take plenty of pictures as you do it then post them when you have finished.

Could do with a laugh :LOL:

Seriously though it can be done. When I'm really really bored I intend to do it to my old Kodak DC290. If it all goes pear shaped there is always the bin :)
Someone put up a web page a few years ago with full instructions for the kodak conversion. unfortunately the page has gone now so I'll have to do it by guesswork.

:) I feel so sorry for my parents I was one of those kids that likes to take stuff apart I've already got the back and LCD screen off my "test subject"

I've had to stop as the screwdriver (if something that came out of a xmas cracker can be described as such) I was using is no longer up to the task and the proper tools are in a room someone's sleeping in LOL

Wouldn't it be easier to buy an old film camera and order some IR film from Kodak?
Process it yourself in one of the handy Jessops dev tanks that I have lurking in the garage... free - you collect.:D

Arkady said:
Wouldn't it be easier to buy an old film camera and order some IR film from Kodak?
Process it yourself in one of the handy Jessops dev tanks that I have lurking in the garage... free - you collect.:D

You need to be a bit careful with film bodies, sometimes. Apparently my old EOS 100 uses an LED that puts out lots of infra-red to sense where the film is :wacky:

Apparently you get a nice wide foggy strip along the bottom of your film - who says more tech is always better?

But my 600 and 1N HS are supposed to be infra-red safe, although the shutter is dodgy on the 600 now (I bought the thing in 1990 :eek: ) .

(OK, I admit it, I'm better at collecting techno-toys than using them! :cautious: )

Alan Woodford

Arkady said:

That would take all the fun out of taking stuff apart I'm not the first person to try/do this here is a bloke who seems to have pulled it off.

So you going to have a go?

You are getting me tempted. Didn't know about the exposed colour film as a filter...thought it would still need the R72.

:D the hotmirror came off before work. dunno if the thing will work when I've got it all back together again I took the lens assembly apart and then found out I didn't need to :bonk:

I'm not sure about the film filter either can but try, I'll experiment with a few things stuck to the outside before I install anything in the camera.

OT:
gojira said:
the shutter is dodgy on the 600 now (I bought the thing in 1990 :eek: )
if you're getting only half frames then it's due to the little damping rubbers getting sticky and holding the shutter too long so the mirror gets in the way- or one way or the other. apparently this is common after about 15 years on the 600's. mine did the same, costs a fair bit in labour to fix but only 15p in parts! i think i paid £40 or so.

i still miss the 5fps it gave me. mmmn d200, tempting

When I said 'old' - I meant old as in terms of manual/mechanical - FM2 or Olympus OM-1 wrapped in tin foil.
Or even an old Zenit or Practika - they must cost pence nowadays...

noah said:
OT:

if you're getting only half frames then it's due to the little damping rubbers getting sticky and holding the shutter too long so the mirror gets in the way- or one way or the other. apparently this is common after about 15 years on the 600's. mine did the same, costs a fair bit in labour to fix but only 15p in parts! i think i paid £40 or so.

i still miss the 5fps it gave me. mmmn d200, tempting

Yep, that's exactly the problem. CBA to get it fixed though, what with two other Canon film bodies to play with!

And my 1N HS (a 1N with an 8-AA motor drive :D ) will burn through a 36 shot roll in about 6 seconds, so my need for speed is almost satisfied.

But it's funny you should mention the old Prakticas, Arkady, I've got two of them lying about here, one of which actually works, and an old M42 mount Chinon.

Hmm, I feel the need to experiment - now where is my tuit file, cos all my tuits still have the corners on! :)

Alan Woodford

Quick update on my progress killed the first camera :( still was only 1.5 megapixels and the battery cover had to be held shut with tape. chosen second subject and removed the hot mirror only took 5 mins since I knew where to look this time
grabed this shot on the way home seems to work
ir_001.jpg

taken through 2 layers of unexposed developed 35mm colour film was really blown out so in PS duplicated layer twice and "multiplied" when I find some more ends of film I'll add another layer of film to cut out more visible light.

Futher research sugests I'll have trouble auto focusing unless I find some glass to replace the hotmirror

I have the Fuji cam given in that artical Gemok, you've got me tempted now.....

gojira said:
Hmm, I feel the need to experiment - now where is my tuit file, cos all my tuits still have the corners on! :)

Alan Woodford

You can't beat a good Round Tuit...

Back